Young people have to stay in education or training until their 18th birthday.
The education system in Dorset is comprehensive with secondary schools for pupils from the age of 11 to 18 and upper schools from the age of 13 to 18. You apply directly to the school or college for education after the age of 16, not through school admissions.
Sixth forms in Dorset:
- Atlantic Academy Portland
- Beaminster Technology College and Sir John Colfox School (linked sixth form)
- The Blandford School
- Budmouth Technology College
- Ferndown Upper School
- Gillingham School
- The Gryphon School
- Lytchett Minster School
- The Purbeck School
- Queen Elizabeth's School
- Sturminster Newton High School and Shaftesbury School (linked sixth form)
- The Thomas Hardye School
- The Woodroffe School
Search for a school and find more details about more schools in the Dorset local authority area.
Search for a school
Search for a school and find more details about schools in the Dorset local authority area.
Special schools with sixth forms
There are 5 special schools with sixth forms in Dorset. These are:
- Beaucroft School, Wimborne
- Mountjoy School, Beaminster
- Westfield Arts College, Weymouth
- Wyvern Academy Weymouth
- Yewstock School, Sturminster Newton
These colleges offer a range of further education courses. They also offer higher education courses, including higher national diplomas (HNDs), foundation degrees and degrees through partnerships with local universities.
These are generalist colleges offering different academic and vocational courses:
- Bournemouth and Poole College
- Brockenhurst College
- Weymouth College
- Wiltshire College
- Yeovil College
One is a specialist college:
- Kingston Maurward College offers courses in agriculture, animal science, sports, floristry, construction, conservation and more
Search for a college in Dorset
Search for a college or further education setting in Dorset.
- Exeter Mathematics School (EMS) is a sixth form school that focuses on the needs of the most able maths students. It's jointly sponsored by the University of Exeter and Exeter College
- Dorset Studio School at Kingston Maurward; combines GCSEs in maths, English, sciences and ICT with qualifications in environmental and land-based sciences plus skills for employment and starting a business, catering for pupils from year 9 to year 13
Find more information about the options available on these websites: