The DYJO plays an exciting range of jazz numbers that cover different styles of the jazz world and has an active gigging calendar.
DYJO have performed at:
- Mowlem Theatre in Swanage playing alongside Gordon Campbell (one of this country's leading trombone players, currently Lead Trombone of the BBC Big Band)
- the Swing Unlimited Jazz Club
- Bournemouth Jazz Festival Awards Ceremony
- Mash Up Festival
- Stompin' on the Quomps
- the Swanage Jazz Festival
Instrument playing standard
Musicians who play at grade 4 standard or above on the following instruments:
- electric guitar
- bass guitar
- drum kit
- double bass
Membership is by audition.
How to apply for membership of DYJO
Please complete the form to apply for an audition:
Rehearsal and concert dates and times for DYJO
Membership costs £40 per term
Inclusive membership for young people
Membership applications are open to all young people in full time education under the age of 21. A 50% reduction in membership fees along with limited fully funded membership is available for students attending a Dorset local authority maintained school or academy if the parent/guardian is in receipt of certain benefits. Enquiries can be made to the Dorset Music Service.
Help with Dorset Music Service fees
We can offer financial help of up to 50% for:
- our instrument tuition
- our instrument hire
- county ensemble membership fees
You could get help if your child:
- is eligible for free school meals
- attends a Dorset school or academy
- is having instrument tuition in a group or a pair
- is learning one instrument
Working in partnership
Dorset Music Service is committed to working in partnership with Soundstorm to provide high-end musical experiences for the country's young musicians.