Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Post 16 travel assistance for young people with SEND

This is for children and young people aged from 16 to 24 years with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).

Apply for post 16 SEN travel assistance

Find out if your child is eligible for travel assistance.

You must apply for post 16 transport every year.

Apply for post 16 SEN travel assistance for 2020 to 2021

You can still apply for 2020 to 2021 post 16 SEN travel assistance.

Apply for post 16 SEN travel assistance for 2021 to 2022

Apply for 2021 to 2022 post 16 SEN travel assistance.

We must get your application by 31 May 2021.

We review the post 16 SEN travel application every year. 

If we approve your application we can only give you travel assistance once you've sent us a full timetable.

Contact the SEN travel team if you need a paper copy of the post 16 SEN travel assistance application form.

Travel costs

Any student starting a new post 16 course who's eligible for travel assistance will have to pay a contribution towards their chosen transport. This includes students with an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Post 16 SEN travel assistance charges for academic year 2021 to 2022

The travel cost for September 2021 to July 2022 is £800 for the year.

Some students can pay 50% less if they are a Dorset resident and meet our criteria. The cost for these students will be £400.

The price will be 50% less for students over the age of 16 who:

  • are a resident in the Dorset Council area; this applies even if they are attending a school or sixth form in another authority
  • are under 19 on 31 August immediately before the start of the academic year or under 25 for those with an education, health and care plan
  • live over 5 miles from their nearest or most appropriate school or sixth form
  • are in full time education (16 hours or more over 3 or more days a week)

The following must also apply:

  • their immediate family receives one of the following benefits:
    • maximum level of Working Tax Credit
    • Income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    • Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for 4 weeks after you no longer qualify for Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
  • or, the student had a compelling medical circumstance before the age of 16 which meant they had travel assistance and they have a case for it to continue. You must also give evidence with your application from an appropriate Medical Officer. For full details see the post 16 transport policy

Who can claim post 16 SEN travel assistance

We assist post 16 students with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND) to get to school and take part in post 16 education, but they must meet the following criteria. Young people could claim travel assistance if they are:

  • aged 16 to 24 as of the 31 August of the previous academic year and have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • unable to get to school or college due to their mobility difficulties, SEN or disability
  • residents in the Dorset Council (DC) area
  • in full time education (16 hours, or more at least 3 days a week)
  • attending their nearest, appropriate educational establishment
  • progressing from one level of study to the next, such as level 1 to level 2 and so on, completing one course and moving to the next
  • showing how consolidation of learning will enable the next step towards agreed outcomes; this could be educational outcomes or career progression

What post 16 SEN travel assistance covers

Assisted travel is only available: 

  • for one inward and one outward journey to and from school or college at the beginning and end of the day. This may not be according to the start and finish of the timetable day
  • between the same pick up and drop off points each day. The parent or carer will have to organise and pay for journeys outside of this arrangement 

Assistance does not cover induction and taster days or work experience.

If students move out of the DC area during their course, they must apply to their new council for assistance.

How to pay for post 16 SEN travel assistance

We will contact you to arrange payment once we process your application. We will offer you the chance to pay in one lump sum or instalments. You can pay by Direct Debit.

If you do not keep up to date with payments, we may withdraw your student's travel pass.

Refunds for post 16 SEN travel assistance

You can request a refund if the student's circumstances have changed. For example if they have moved house.

What to do if you cannot get post 16 SEN travel assistance

Appeal your post 16 SEN travel assistance request

If your travel assistance request got turned down and refused in writing, you can appeal.

To appeal in writing complete the post 16 transport appeal form and return as directed in the form.

You can only make one appeal per academic year, unless there is a vast change to your circumstances. Make sure you include all related information and documentation on your form.

If you do not qualify for post 16 SEN travel assistance

Find out your options if you do not qualify for post 16 SEN travel assistance.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.