This information is for young people aged 16 to 24 with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) who want to apply for travel assistance to school or college.

You must re-apply for post 16 transport every year.

Find out if you're eligible

You could claim travel assistance if you:

  • were aged 16 to 24 on 31 August of the previous academic year and have an education, health and care (EHC) plan
  • are unable to get to school or college due to your mobility difficulties, SEN or disability
  • live in the Dorset Council (DC) area
  • are in full time education (16 hours, or more at least 3 days a week)
  • attend your nearest appropriate educational establishment
  • are progressing from one level of study to the next, such as level 1 to level 2 and so on, completing one course and moving to the next
  • can show progression in education to meet agreed EHC plan aims

Apply for post 16 SEND travel assistance

Download the application form and submit it by 31 May 2021.

If you are applying after this date, we will review your application as soon as is possible.

If we approve your application, we can only give you travel assistance once we've received a your full student timetable.

Contact the SEND travel team if you need a paper copy of the post 16 SEND travel assistance application form or can't access the document.

What journeys are covered

If your application is successful, we will provide you with travel assistance to your school or college.

Travel assistance is only available: 

  • for one inward and one outward journey to and from school or college at the beginning and end of the day. This may not be according to the start and finish of the timetable day
  • between the same pick up and drop off points each day. The parent or carer will have to organise and pay for journeys outside of this arrangement 
Assistance does not cover induction and taster days or work experience.

If you move out of the Dorset Council area during your course, you must apply to your new council for assistance.

Travel costs for academic year 2021 to 2022

Travel assistance is free if you are aged 19 and over and we agree that you are required to remain in education.

If you are under the age of 19 must pay a contribution towards your travel assistance. This includes students with an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

The travel cost for September 2021 to July 2022 is £800 a year for students under the age of 19.

You may qualify for a half price fee of £400 if you are a Dorset resident and meet the following criteria.

You must:

  • live in the Dorset Council area; this applies even if you are attending a school or sixth form in another authority
  • be under 19 on 31 August immediately before the start of the academic year or under 25 for those with an education, health and care plan
  • live over 5 miles from your nearest or most appropriate school or sixth form
  • be in full time education (16 hours or more over 3 or more days a week)
  • receive one of the following benefits as a family or individual:
    • maximum level of Working Tax Credit
    • income Support
    • income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
    • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
    • the guaranteed element of Pension Credit
    • Child Tax Credit (provided you are not entitled to Working Tax Credit, and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190)
    • Working Tax Credit run-on, paid for 4 weeks after you no longer qualify for Working Tax Credit
    • Universal Credit
  • or have a compelling medical circumstance before the age of 16 which meant you had travel assistance and have a case for it to continue. You must also give evidence with your application from an appropriate Medical Officer. See the post 16 transport policy for full details.

How to pay

We will contact you to arrange payment once we process your application. We will offer you the chance to pay in one lump sum or instalments. You can pay by Direct Debit.

If you do not keep up to date with payments, we may withdraw your travel pass.


You can request a refund if your circumstances have changed, for example, if you have moved house.

If you don't qualify for travel assistance

Find out your options if you do not qualify for post 16 SEND travel assistance.

You can appeal in writing if your application for travel assistance was unsuccessful and refused.

Complete the post 16 transport appeal form and return it to us, as directed in the form. Make sure you include all related information and documentation on your form.

You can only make one appeal per academic year, unless there is a big change to your circumstances.

Share this page