Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Complain about a SEND service

Talk to your provider

To resolve a problem you should start by talking to your provider. Talk to them if:

  • you have had a bad experience 
  • there have been ongoing problems 
  • the service was not what you'd hoped it to be

You should raise your concern early on and speak with the person in charge. This could be the manager, head teacher or key worker of the service or school. You can then discuss how to resolve, or improve the problem.

My problem is still unresolved 

If you still have a problem, you can get support from:

Support around EHC plans and assessments

If your complaint is about your education health and care (EHC) assessment or plan, there's a range of support available:

You should first talk to your SEN Planning Coordinator to resolve any issues. If you're still not happy, make a complaint.

For general and legal advice, talk to:

See also disagreement resolution and mediation help.

I can't fix the problem and want to complain

If you have tried talking to the service and you haven't found a solution, you can make a complaint. This will allow you to start the process of resolving the problem in a more official way.

There are different procedures for different services:

Complain about a school

All schools handle their complaints themselves. Find out how to complain about a school.

Other education complaints

All non-school education provider should have their own complaints process. This could be a college or early years provider. If you still cannot resolve the problem, you can complain to the organisation that inspects them such as Ofsted.

Complain about council-run services

Follow our complaints procedure if your complaint is about a service run by us, Dorset Council.

Non-council service complaints

If the service is not run by the council, they will have their own complaints procedure. You will need to contact them to make a complaint.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.