The procedure to complain is the same whether you have a child at the school or not. 

Contact the school

If you're unhappy with something that has happened at a school, you should contact the school first. It's important to do this before taking any further action as it gives the school the opportunity to resolve you concerns informally. 

Most complaints are resolved at this stage. If your concerns aren't resolved you may want to make a formal complaint. 

Ask your school for their complaints procedure. This will tell you how to make a complaint and how it will be handled. 

Find your school

if you're unsure of a school's contact details, you can find them on our Family Information Directory.

Make a formal complaint

If you've already spoken to your child's teacher and are still not satisfied, you should write a formal letter of complaint to the head teacher. Remember to keep a copy. You should expect a response within 10 days after they've received it. 

Complain about a headteacher or principal

If your complaint is about a headteacher or principal, you'll probably be asked to write to the Chair of Governors. You can contact them through the school. 

Academies and free schools may have different arrangements. 

If you're not happy with the school's final response

If you're still not happy after completing the school's complaints procedure, you can contact the Department for Education (DfE).

Share this page