Disagreement resolution and mediation

If you're not happy about the support your child or young person with SEND receives, you can challenge it.

You can sort out most issues by talking to:

  • your child's school
  • your child's setting
  • your local council

If you still can't sort the issues, using disagreement resolution or mediation can help.

Mediators work with everyone involved to try and sort the issue. 

These services are:

  • voluntary and independent
  • free and confidential 
  • quick and informal

Both parents and young people (over 16 years old) with SEND can use these services. 

Disagreement resolution

These sessions can help with issues about:

  • how a school, setting or the local council are carrying out their duties
  • what help a school or setting offers
  • health or social care provision

Health or social care provision includes what is given:

You can use this service even if the child or young person doesn't have an EHC plan. 


The mediation service is for when you have concerns about an EHC plan.

You can use it when there has been a decision:

  • not to carry out an EHC needs assessment
  • not to carry out an EHC needs re-assessment
  • not to draw up an EHC plan after an assessment
  • not to amend an EHC plan after an annual review or re-assessment
  • to cease an EHC plan

Mediation also helps with issues around:

  • the parts of the EHC plan that describe the child or young person's SEN
  • the provision set out in the EHC plan

Mediation takes place within 30 days and at a time and place that works for you.

Appeal to the SEND tribunal

Parents and young people can also register an appeal about anything relating to EHC plans. These appeals go to the special educational needs and disability (SEND) tribunal. This is an independent, first-tier tribunal. 

You have 2 months from a decision to register an appeal.

You must contact a mediator before registering an appeal. They will provide information about mediation. You can choose whether you wish to use mediation or not. The mediator will give you a certificate. This shows that you have contacted them so you can register your appeal. 

Sometimes you don't need a certificate to register an appeal.

This is where the appeal is about you not being happy:

  • with the name of the school or setting on the EHC plan
  • with the type of school or setting
  • that no school or other institution is named
  • with the health and social care elements of the EHC plan

SEND tribunal: national trial

Find out about the new SEND tribunal national trial.

This trial gives you the opportunity to make an appeal to the SEND tribunal, not only about special educational needs and provision, but also about making recommendations to the local authority about the child or young person's health needs and provision and/or social care needs and provision.

Contacts for help and guidance

Contact Global Mediation for disagreement resolution and mediation about SEND issues.

You can also speak to SENDIASS for advice and guidance. 

SEND information, advice and support service (SENDIASS)

Email: sendiass@dorsetcouncil.gov.uk
Full contact details