Talk to your provider

To resolve a problem you should start by talking to your provider. Talk to them if:

  • you have had a bad experience 
  • there have been ongoing problems 
  • the service was not what you'd hoped it to be

You should raise your concern early on and speak with the person in charge. This could be the manager, head teacher or key worker of the service or school. You can then discuss how to resolve, or improve the problem.

My problem is still unresolved 

If you still have a problem, you can get support from:

Support around EHC plans and assessments

If your complaint is about your education health and care (EHC) assessment or plan, there's a range of support available:

You should first talk to your local Education and Early Help (SEND) Team to resolve any issues. If you're still not happy, make a complaint.

For general and legal advice, talk to:

See also disagreement resolution and mediation help.

I can't fix the problem and want to complain

If you have tried talking to the service and you haven't found a solution, you can make a complaint. This will allow you to start the process of resolving the problem in a more official way.

There are different procedures for different services:

Complain about a school

All schools handle their complaints themselves. Find out how to complain about a school.

Other education complaints

All non-school education provider should have their own complaints process. This could be a college or early years provider. If you still cannot resolve the problem, you can complain to the organisation that inspects them such as Ofsted.

Complain about council-run services

Follow our complaints procedure if your complaint is about a service run by us, Dorset Council.

Non-council service complaints

If the service is not run by the council, they will have their own complaints procedure. You will need to contact them to make a complaint.

Share this page