Leaving family service accommodation

If you are coming up to leaving, or have recently left service accommodation, you should contact the DIO Loss of Entitlement Team:

Help finding somewhere to live

There are several government schemes to help service personnel to find somewhere to live.

Joint Service Housing Advice Office

The Joint Service Housing Advice Office (JSHAO) can give you information if you and your dependants want to to move to civilian housing. They also provide information during resettlement to help with the transition to civilian life.

Veteran's Gateway

The Veteran's Gateway should be your first point of contact if you are a veteran seeking support.

Forces help to buy

Forces help to buy is a scheme to help those who have served to get on to the property ladder. If you are leaving the forces and receiving a discharge payment, it may be a good investment to use it to buy a home.

MOD referral team

This assists service leavers who would benefit from affordable housing but may not receive priority through local authority lettings. It uses housing association properties including sheltered and adapted properties.


The Single Persons Accommodation Centre for the Ex-Services (SPACES) helps single service leavers find settled accommodation.

If you are facing homelessness

Leaving the armed forces takes planning and you should leave plenty of time to make sure that you are not in a situation where you could become homeless. But, we know that things don’t always go according to plan.

Get help if you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless. We recommend you speak to the support agencies, as well as contacting us for help.

We can help by:

  • telling you about local options
  • trying to prevent you from becoming homeless
  • supporting you to find housing

If you are vulnerable because of time spent in service, we take that into account. 

There is a high demand for social housing and securing a property may take some time.

You should consider other options like:

Supported housing

Entrain Space offers housing and support to ex-service personnel and their families to help with the transition to civilian life. Residents can stay up to 3 years at Erskine House, Wilton, Salisbury.

Advice and support

Housing and homelessness support to the armed forces community - GOV.UK  – guidance for organisations that provide housing or homelessness services to the armed forces community and veterans themselves.

Royal British Legion advises service personnel, veterans and their families. This includes managing money, benefits, housing, finding a job and much more.

Combat Stress is for veterans with mental health problems such as post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety and depression. It provides specialist treatment and support, focusing on veterans with complex mental health issues.

Help for Heroes empowers veterans and those still serving to recover from injuries and illness to reach their potential. It offers physical, psychological, financial and welfare support and also supports families.

Soldiers, Sailors, Airforce and Families Association (SSAFA) supports service personnel, veterans and their immediate family. It offers support with debts, benefits, housing, mental health and substance misuse issues, plus any equipment needed for independent living.

Our commitment to helping the military community

We hold a Gold Award as part of the Ministry of Defence (MoD) Employer Recognition Scheme. The award recognises our commitment to aiding and employing members of the military community. We continue to deliver the military covenant in Dorset to help those who have served.