Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Works on the highway licence

You need a licence to carry out private works or anything which affects or obstructs the highway. A fixed penalty notice may be served on those carrying out unauthorised work.

Before you start work:

Working in the highway
You need a section 50 licence if you:You need a road space booking if you:
Need to dig up the road to repair existing apparatus such as pipe work or cables

Are carrying out private work on the road or work which affects any part of the highway. (If you need to make minor alterations to the existing road layout, you should ensure you obtain express approval first from Dorset Operations.)

Need to place new apparatus such as pipe work or cables that is or will be in your ownership in the public highway Are not excavating/digging in the public highway
Have utility-owned apparatus placed in a trench that is to be excavated by a third party - a contractor which you have hired that has no connection to any of the utility companies Are carrying out work on the road which has been agreed under a separate licence, like a dropped kerb, but you require traffic management to be placed on the highway

If you require any assistance before applying, please contact us.

Apply for a section 50 licence

  • installation of new apparatus - £475 per application
  • repair of existing apparatus - £300 per application

Please allow four weeks for processing and administration.

Start now

Apply for a road space booking

Licences are charged at £25 per application, per phase of work, plus £1 for each additional street affected by the same job/event.

Please allow up to 10 working days for processing.

Start now 


Credit/debit card payment

We recommend secure, fast telephone payment via a credit or debit card. If you choose to pay by card, we will invite you to contact us by phone to make a payment once your application has been approved.


We will invite you to send a signed cheque to Highways Operations if your application is approved. Make it payable to Dorset Council for the agreed sum, and send to Traffic Team, Dorset Highways, County Hall, Collition Park, Dorchester, DT1 1XJ.

Please specify the works reference provided on approval on the reverse of the cheque.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.