Works on the highway licence
You need a licence to carry out private works or anything which affects or obstructs the highway. A fixed penalty notice may be served on those carrying out unauthorised work.
Before you start work:
Working in the highway
|You need a section 50 licence if you:||You need a road space booking if you:|
- need to dig up the road to repair existing apparatus such as pipe work or cables
- need to place new apparatus such as pipe work or cables in the road, that is or will be in your ownership
- need to have utility-owned apparatus placed in a trench excavated by a third party (a contractor which you have hired that has no connection to any of the utility companies)
Please note that the above are not exhaustive lists. If you require any assistance before applying, please contact us.
Apply for a section 50 licence
- installation of new apparatus - £475 per application
- repair of existing apparatus - £300 per application
Please allow four weeks for processing and administration.
Apply for a road space booking
Licences are charged at £25 per application, per phase of work, plus £1 for each additional street affected by the same job/event.
Please allow 10 working days for processing and administration.
Credit/debit card payment
We recommend secure, fast telephone payment via a credit or debit card. If you choose to pay by card, we will invite you to contact us by phone to make a payment once your application has been approved.
We will invite you to send a signed cheque if your application is approved. Make it payable to Dorset Council for the agreed sum, and send it to Traffic Team, Dorset Highways, County Hall, Collition Park, Dorchester, DT1 1XJ.
Please specify the works reference provided on approval on the reverse of the cheque.