Purbeck Local Plan - Further Proposed Main Modifications
In response to comments received on the Purbeck Local Plan Proposed Main Modifications Consultation, which closed earlier this year, we are consulting on limited Further Proposed Main Modifications around Policy V2 and I5, which are considered to be necessary to ensure that the plan is sound.
We are inviting comments on the:
- FMMCD1: Interim Mitigation Strategy for Heathland Habitat Sites (2018/19 to 2023/24)
- FMMCD2: Sustainability Appraisal
- FMMCD3: Habitat Regulation Assessment
- FMMCD4a: Interim heathland mitigation projects Memorandum of Understanding between Natural England and Dorset Council, November 2021
- FMMCD4b: Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and Dorset Wildlife Trust, September 2021
- FMMCD4c: Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council, Wyatt Homes and Natural England, September 2021
- FMMCD4d: Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and Bournemouth Canine Association, August 2021
- FMMCD4e: Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and Moreton Estate, November 2021
- FMMCD5a: Inset map for Morden
- FMMCD5b: Overview map
- FMMCD5c: Key to policies maps
Their importance and context are explained below.
Further Proposed Main Modifications consultation December 2021
The Purbeck Local Plan Examination Interim Mitigation Strategy for Heathland Habitat Sites (2018/19 to 2023/24) sets out Further Proposed Main Modifications around policy V2 and I5 and considers a range of projects that could provide heathland mitigation in the event that the strategic SANG at Morden is not delivered.
The key Further Proposed Main Modifications (referenced as FMM6, FMM7, FMM76 and FMM77) are detailed in Appendix 5 of the FMMCD1: Purbeck Local Plan Examination Interim Mitigation Strategy For Heathland Habitat Sites (2018/19 to 2023/24).
These Further Proposed Main Modifications give rise to a series of minor consequential Further Proposed Main Modifications: FMM3, FMM66 and FMM82, which are set out in Appendix 6 of the FMMCD1: Purbeck Local Plan Examination Interim Mitigation Strategy For Heathland Habitat Sites (2018/19 to 2023/24).
The proposed modifications are displayed as follows:
Additional text is presented in bold and underlined and any text which the council suggests should be deleted is struck through.
A number of minor errors and typographical mistakes have been identified in the Interim Mitigation Strategy. The errors and mistakes are listed as errata which you can view by following this link to 'Errata - Interim mitigation strategy for heathland habitat sites (2018/19 to 2023/24)'.
Responding to the consultation
This is not an opportunity to raise matters relating to other parts of the Plan that have already been considered by the Inspector during the examination. Weight will not be given to representations that repeat matters raised and discussed at hearing sessions or in earlier responses.
Responses on the Further Proposed Main Modifications consultation must:
- be made using the response form below
- include the respondent's name and address
- be submitted by 11:45pm on 24 January 2022
We are unable to accept anonymous responses.
Alternatively, a Response Form, extra Part B and Part C can be downloaded and completed electronically or printed off and filled out manually. The responses should be sent to email@example.com or to: Spatial Planning, County Hall, Colliton Park, Dorchester, DT1 1XJ.
If you have any queries please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01929 557384 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All responses will be summarised and forwarded, along with copies of the original submissions, to the Inspector for her consideration.
Planning law allows local plans to be modified after they have been submitted. Modifications are divided into two categories:
Those that are needed to make the plan legally compliant or sound – these are referred to as proposed Main Modifications; and
- Those that are needed to correct minor errors or factual inaccuracies (these changes are not required in order to make the plan legally compliant or sound) – these are referred to as Additional Modifications.
Following hearing sessions in 2019, and after considering a Post Hearing Note from the Planning Inspector, the council has prepared a schedule of proposed Main Modifications [MMCD1] to the local plan which are considered necessary to ensure that the plan is legally compliant and/or sound. The consultation draft composite list of proposed Main Modifications supersedes those presented earlier in the examination process in SD14. Each proposed Main Modification has been given an updated reference for the current consultation. (The references in SD14 will not be used for the current consultation).
For each proposed Main Modification the council has presented:
- the policy, or supporting text, as it was drafted in the submission draft version of the Purbeck Local Plan [SD01a];
- an explanation of why the changes are needed in order to make the local plan sound or legally compliant; and
- a modified version of the policy, or supporting text, showing the changes from the text, as it was drafted in the submission draft version of the local plan. (Any additional text is presented in bold and underlined and any text which the council suggests should be deleted is struck through. Where appropriate, the proposed Main Modifications indicate where a new paragraph would be inserted).
These proposals were presented in a tracked version of the submission draft of Purbeck Local Plan.
The council also presented a document showing minor typographical errors along with an updated drafts of composite schedule of proposed Main Modifications (MMCD1) and published these on 3 December 2020. The tracked version of the submission draft Purbeck Local plan was also revised to reflect the corrections in MMCD1.
The council has also prepared an updated version of the Purbeck Local Plan (2018-2034) policies map(s) [MMCD2]. The Purbeck Local Plan (2018-2034) policies map only relates to those policies in the local plan. This policies map(s) [MMCD2] does not refer to policies or policies maps of the other development plan documents. For further information on the policies map please refer to a paper prepared by the council.
- Bere Regis inset map
- Lytchett Matravers inset map
- Upton inset map
- Swanage inset map
- Morden inset map
- Moreton inset map
- Wool inset map
- Wareham inset map
- Dorset Innovation Park inset map
- Key to maps
Updated assessments and supplementary evidence
As part of work on the proposed Main Modifications, and in response to changes in planning laws following examination hearing sessions in 2019, the council has prepared updates to previously published evidence and supplementary evidence including:
- Habitats Regulations Assessment (HRA) [MMCD3];
- Sustainability Appraisal of main modifications (SA) [MMCD4];
- 5 Year Housing Land Supply 2020 [MMCD5];
- Infrastructure Delivery Plan [MMCD6]; and
- Dorset Council response to The Town and Country Planning (Use Classes) (Amendment) (England) Regulations 2020 [MMCD7].
Relevant submission documents published in the course of the examination
The Council published a series of papers and supporting evidence, in response to representations, made over the course of the local plan hearing sessions and to the pre-submission draft plan. It has also re-published a selection of these papers and evidence which relate to the proposed Main Modifications including:
- Review of capacity from small sites [SD88];
- Proposed Amendments to HRA [SD89];
- Appropriate assessment statement [SD96];
- Addendum to SA re settlement hierarchy [SD92];
- Strategy for mitigating effects on European sites, and Green Belt changes at Morden [SD93];
- Summary of viability issues raised by respondents and Council / Dixon Seale response to those concerns [SD97];
- Examination stage – viability update Purbeck Local Plan [SD117];
- Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and Savills on viability related issues for housing sites around Wool October 2019;
- Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and Wyatt Homes on viability related issues for Lytchett Matravers and Upton October 2019;
- Memorandum of understanding between Dorset Council and the Moreton Estate on viability related issues for Moreton Station/Redbridge Pit October 2019;
- Proposed changes to care provision [SD95]; and
All of the submission documents [SD] can be viewed on the Local plan examination webpage. Whilst the council’s previous assessment of Housing Need [SD85] and its Review of Sources of Housing Supply [SD86] are no longer up-to-date these papers have informed the preparation of the 5 Year Housing Land Supply [MMCD5] presented in this consultation.
Responses to the main modifications consultation
After the consultation on the composite schedule of proposed Main Modifications closed we have been working on processing the representations that the council received and preparing a consultation response document. The council's consultation response document includes its summaries of the matters and issues raised in the representations and its response.
In the course of reviewing the responses the council identified what it considers are substantial issues relating to the delivery of a holiday park (Policy 15) and proposed release of land from Green Belt (Policy V2) at Morden. In order to address these substantial issues the council has invited the Planning Inspector to consider further revisions, made a proposed Main Modifications, that would involve deleting the parts of those policies that support Green Belt release at Morden and delivery of a holiday park. These changes would relate to these policies (Policy V2 and Policy 15), their supporting text and any other references to these policies in other parts of the local plan. The Inspector will consider all of the representations (in full), the council's consultation response document and the issues raised by the council before deciding how the examination should proceed.