We take all allegations of misuse very seriously, however sometimes 'genuine use' can misjudged as 'misuse'.
Before you report misuse
It is important to be aware of some common misunderstandings:
- the badge is issued to a person, and can be used in any vehicle they travel in
- badge-holders don't have to be in the vehicle when it is parked, as long as they are being picked-up or dropped-off from the location
- badge-holders don't always have a physical disability. They may hold a badge due to a 'non physical' disability, which makes it unsafe for them or others to walk long distances or in public and open spaces
- badge-holders can be any age. Even children under 3 can hold a badge, when bulky medical equipment (like ventilators and oxygen) needs to be close by, or if they need urgent access to a vehicle in order to receive medical treatment
- some badge-holders have been given a badge because they are terminally ill, and their mobility is expected to increasingly worsen
- Blue Badges do not apply to 'off-road' parking areas, like supermarkets, hospitals, and privately owned roads, so misuse in these areas should be reported to the relevant company or organisation
If you still feel that a badge is being misused, please submit your report (anonymously if you prefer)
Report suspected misuse
Before you start:
We'd like as much information as possible to help us with our investigations, such as:
- name of the badge-holder
- badge serial number
- times and locations that the misuse often takes place
- vehicle details (e.g. model, make and colour)
- a description of the person using the badge (if they aren't the badge-holder)
If you wish to upload any evidence, like social media screen-shots or short video footage, please be aware that this may be used in court proceedings.
What happens with your report?
We will do our utmost to investigate any report of misuse and take the appropriate action. However, we won’t be able to tell you the outcome of the investigation.
When a report involves a badge-holder who has automatically qualified for a badge because they receive a benefit, like Disability Living Allowance (DLA) or Personal Independence Payments (PIP), we will forward your report to the relevant service.
Gov.uk have more information about reporting benefit fraud.
The National Benefit Fraud Hotline is 0800 854 440.