Find independent services in Dorset in this table:

Independent services What support the service provides Who can access the service

A-Stars is a club for children over the age of 5 and young adults and their families with:

  • Asperger's Syndrome
  • an autism-related condition (ASC)
Parents and families.
Autism Unlimited

Autism Unlimited exists to support and empower autistic children, adults and their families.

Parents and families.
Children's Education Advisory Service (CEAS) CEAS provides advice, support and guidance around the educational wellbeing of the children and young people belonging to service and eligible Ministry of Defence families in all 3 services, including issues around SEND. Parents and families.

National charity that supports families of disabled children. Support includes:

  • free information workshops
  • local information
  • information guides
  • advice
  • opportunities to meet other families
  • resources for professionals
Parents, carers, other family members and professionals.
Council for Disabled Children

They work with professionals, practitioners and policy-makers to make sure children and young people with SEND get the best outcomes. 

Parents and families.
Diverse Abilities

This group supports families caring for a child or young person with a disability or SEN living in:

  • Dorset
  • Bournemouth 
  • Christchurch
  • Poole
Parents and families.
Dorset Parent Carer Council (DPCC)

Represents the views of families whose children are disabled in Dorset. They do this by:

  • holding meetings, workshops and steering groups
  • talking at conferences
  • holding consultations with individuals and groups

Anyone can become a member by joining online. 

Find BCP Parents Carers Together.

Dorset SEN Disability Information, Advice and Support Service (SENDIASS)

Information, advice and support for children, young people with SEND from birth to 25 years and their parents and carers.

Equality Advisory Support Service

EASS provides free advice and guidance to individuals who believe that they have:

  • been a victim of discrimination
  • had their human rights breached
Global Mediation Global Mediation provide a disagreement resolution and mediation service for children with SEND. Anyone can become a member by joining online. 
Home Start Help in the home to young families who are dealing with difficulties like bereavement, illness or depression. Families must have at least one child under the age of 5. Parents or families.
Independent Parental Special Education Advice (IPSEA) National charity, providing free, legal-based advice to families who have children with SEN.  Anyone.
Sibs Sibs is a UK charity; they represent the needs of brothers and sisters of disabled children and adults.  Anyone

SENDIST handle appeals against councils' decisions about the education of children with SEN.