Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Finding somewhere to live

If you're thinking about leaving home, consider your options and think about whether it's practical to leave.

Think about:

  • are you old enough to consider leaving home?
  • do you know how to find somewhere to live?
  • have you got enough money for a deposit and for the first month's rent?
  • what furniture will you need?
  • do you know if you're eligible for any benefits or support, or where to find help?
  • how much will you have to pay for food, Council Tax, electricity, gas and a TV licence?

There's a lot to think about, but there are support services that can help answer your questions.

To work out your best option, make sure you talk to:

Citizens Advice and Shelter offer free, independent youth advice and information on housing to help you understand your rights and options.

We offer support if you find yourself homeless and we also have a range of housing services.

Dorset Nightstop

Action for Children's Dorset Nightstop provides emergency accommodation for homeless young people aged between 16 and 25. Young people can stay in the home of a carefully recruited, fully checked and trained volunteer, supported by project staff. Accommodation is on a one-night-at-a-time basis, for a maximum of 3 nights.

If you find yourself homeless, Nightstop can offer a safe and friendly environment, giving agencies time to find a long-term solution for you.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.