Advice and support for young people
We have support services for young people who are facing difficulties.
We can support you if you're:
- 11 to 19 years old
- up to 25 years old if you have special educational needs or disability (SEND)
- up to 25 years old if you're a care leaver
We can support you if you aren't in, or you risk missing:
Supporting young people to continue education or start work
Our Education, employment, training and re-engagement and support team supports young people who live in Dorset from the age of 16 to 19 (or up to the age of 25 for those most in need).
There are also a number of options for education and training after 16 years old.
Tips for applying to higher educationRead our top tips for applying to higher education.
Organisations that support young people
Mental health and wellbeing support
These organisations give free advice and support:
- LiveWell Dorset: a free service for people who want to improve their wellbeing
- Kooth the online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people
- YoungMinds Child and adolescent mental health
- Mind: they can help you so you don't have to face a mental health problem alone
- Time to Change: useful resources and advice to help with mental health problems
- ChatHealth: confidential text messaging service for young people to anonymously get in touch with a healthcare professional for advice and support
- REACH: drug and alcohol advice : offers support for people facing issues with addiction in Dorset
- MOSAIC: charity that supports bereaved children and young people in Dorset
- SPACE youth project: LGBTQ+ charity that runs regular, free youth groups across Dorset
- Wessex Healthier Together website:help if you're a parent or carer and would like to know more about parenting tips, information about long-term illnesses or where to go if you feel your child is having problems with their emotions
Staying safeFind out about:
- staying safe, your rights and the law
- child exploitation and what to do if you think someone is being exploited
Alcohol and drugs misuse
Find support groups for alcohol and drugs misuse on our Family Information Directory.
Find support and advice about sexual health from these organisations:
- Sexual Health Dorset: contraceptive and sexual health services for all in Dorset
- Health for Teens: health and relationships information and advice from the NHS
Homelessness and housingFind information:
- about homelessness and housing advice for young people, including support for runaways
- to support you if you're in danger of being made homeless on our Family Information Directory
Special educational needs and disability (SEND)
Our Local Offer section has information for children and young people with SEND and their families.
Find out what help is available on our Local Offer.
Support for Young Carers
If you're under 18 years old and look after another person at home, you may be a young carer. There are a number of ways we can help you.
Find out more information on our Young Carers webpage.