Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Learning to drive

What support is there to help me learn to drive?

Besides your driving instructor, you can also ask another adult to help you learn to drive. If you want them to take you out in a car, they must be over 21 and have at least 3 years driving experience.

If you need help practicing for your theory test, you could ask a parent, carer, friend or your support worker. Your driving instructor will also be able to give you advice on how to practice for your test. You can try a practice theory test on GOV.UK.

Disability Driving Instructors

Disability Driving Instructors give advice about driving to people with SEN or a disability. They can help:
  • first time drivers
  • people who are returning to drive after developing a disability or SEN

Driving Mobility

Driving Mobility help people who struggle with mobility gain independence through driving. This includes people with SEN and/or disabilities.

They offer assessment and advice on:

  • adaptations to your vehicle
  • your ability to drive in a safe way 
  • wheelchair or scooter loading and transportation

To visit one of their centres, get a referral from your doctor or a healthcare professional. 

Disabled Motoring UK

Disabled Motoring UK provide information on mobility and signpost to relevant services. This includes information on:

  • driving
  • car insurance
  • where to find an accessible vehicle

They also have an advice and guidance helpline.

Mobility vehicles, car adaptations and equipment

If you are unable to use a standard car due to your needs, you could get a specialist vehicle or have a car adapted.

Motability vehicles

If your needs make it hard for you to get about, and you receive a benefit for this, you can get a vehicle from Motability. You can use your benefit to lease a vehicle such as a car, mobility scooter or powered wheelchair.

You will pay for the lease of the vehicle, but it will not belong to you. If you stop receiving your benefit for any reason, you will have to return the vehicle.

See if you can join the Motability scheme and find out more​.

Adaptations and equipment

Contact Driving Mobility to find out about vehicle adaptations. 

Can I get help with the cost of driving?

There are several costs when it comes to driving, these include the cost of:
  • a licence
  • driving lessons
  • your theory and practical test

If you choose to buy a car you will also need to consider the cost of:

  • the car (buying or leasing)
  • car insurance and tax
  • MOT
  • running costs, such as petrol

You won't have to pay for all these costs straight away as some of these costs will come with time. 

To help with the costs, you may be able to get: ​

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.