Benefits and financial support you could get are:

If you have a carer they could get:

  • Carer's Allowance if they care for you for at least 35 hours a week and you get certain benefits
  • Carer's Credit if they care for you for at least 20 hours a week

Disabled Living Allowance

If you're under 16 you can apply for a Disability Living Allowance (DLA) if:

  • you have a physical disability or a learning difficulty or mental health support needs
  • you need someone to support you, or you have difficulty walking and getting about
  • you have needed this support for at least 3 months and it's likely to continue for at least another 6 months

Find out more about and apply for Disability Living Allowanceon the GOV.UK website. 

When you're 16 years old you'll need to move from DLA to Personal Independence Payment.

Disabled Students' Allowance

If you're over 16 and in education you can apply for Disabled Students' Allowances (DSAs) to help you with day to day costs. 

This does not affect your student finance, which is money you may be able to borrow to help pay for university of college fees and to help with living costs. 

You can apply for DSAs if you live in England and have a disability that affects your ability to study. 

This may be a:

  • learning difficulty, for example dyslexia or ADHD
  • mental health condition like anxiety or depression
  • physical disability, for example if you're partially sighted or have to use crutches
  • long-term health condition such as cancer, chronic heart disease or HIV

You'll need to give proof of your disability or condition.

You must also:

  • be taking a full-time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate course in the UK (including Open University or distance learning) that lasts for at least a year
  • qualify for student finance

Find out more about and apply for Disabled Students' Allowance on the GOV.UK website.

Personal Independence Payment

Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is money for people over 16 who have extra care needs or difficulty getting around as a result of a disability.

The amount you get depends on how your condition affects you. Find out about moving from DLA to PIP from Contact.

Find out more and how to claim a Personal Independence Payment on the GOV.UK website

Universal Credit

If you're over 16 you might be able to claim Universal Credit

If you are not fit for work you need to get a medical certificate from your doctor, known as a statement of fitness to work, or a 'fit note'.

The charity Contact has more information about what Universal Credit is and where to get advice before you apply.

New Style Employment and Support Allowance

If you're over 16 and your illness or disability affects how much you can work you can apply for Employment and Support Allowance (ESA). This can include:

  • financial support
  • personalised help to get back into work

Find out more about New Style Employment and Support Allowance on the GOV.UK website.