Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Apply for a disabled person's bus pass

Who is eligible

'Eligible disabled' means you:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are profoundly or severely deaf
  • are without speech
  • have a disability, or have suffered an injury, which has a substantial and long-term effect on your ability to walk
  • don't have arms or have long-term loss of the use of both arms
  • have a learning disability
  • are a member or Veteran of the Armed Services who has been seriously injured in service

You're also eligible disabled if your application for a driving licence would be refused under section 92 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (physical fitness). However, you won't be eligible if you were refused because of persistent misuse of drugs or alcohol.

Apply for a disabled person's bus pass

Apply for a free disabled person's bus pass online.

Other ways to apply

  • you can download a print friendly version of the form. Please include your photograph in the envelope with the application form
  • you can request a large print version of the form is posted to you by calling us
  • if you're not able to fill in the form or apply online, you can call us 0300 330 1201 (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays) to complete an application over the phone with you and post the form for you to sign and return with proof of address and disability


We will write to you if you need to supply new evidence to renew your bus pass. If you don't hear from us, your pass will be renewed automatically. 

We usually automatically renew disabled passes issued due to visual or hearing impairments. For other disabilities, we might ask for a copy of updated information to enable us to renew your pass.

We are happy to help you in understanding what evidence we need in order to quickly and easily renew a bus pass. If you need any advice or if your circumstances have changed e.g. change of name or address, please phone 0300 330 1201 (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays).

Lost or stolen passes and change of address

Please call 0300 330 1201 to re-order (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays).

You will need to pay £10 to replace a lost or spoilt pass unless the loss was as the result of theft and a Police Crime Number is supplied.

When and where you can travel 

You can travel free on local buses in Dorset from 9.30am to 11pm on Monday to Friday and any time at weekends and public holidays.

You are also entitled to free local bus travel in all other areas of England during these off-peak times.

Free travel throughout the week is available for blind and partially sighted people.

For companion pass holders it is free from 9.30am to 11pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and public holidays.

Preventing fraud

By law, councils have to protect public money. We may share information you provide with those responsible for auditing or administering public money in order to prevent or detect fraud. The council must send data held on concessionary travel passes.

Dorset Council has contracted Euclid Ltd to manage the process of Concessionary Bus Pass applications and enquiries.

Terms and Conditions

View the Concessionary Bus Travel Terms and Conditions.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.