Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

30 hours funded childcare for 3 and 4 year olds

30 hours funded childcare during coronavirus

If you claim 30 hours funded childcare and/or Tax-Free Childcare you must reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months. Eligibility has not changed but there are some temporary flexibilities.

These flexibilities may affect you if you're applying for or already claiming 30 hours funded childcare. This includes parents who:

  • are now not able to work
  • are now working less due to coronavirus
  • have missed the deadline to apply for this term

Talk to your childcare provider if you have any questions about using your funded hours.

If your child is eligible to get 30 hours funded childcare for the autumn term we recommend that you apply now.


Apply for 30 hours funded childcare on GOV.UK

Sign up, create an account and apply for funding through the GOV.UK website.

Find guidance about accessing your childcare service account

Who can apply?

All parents get up to 15 hours funded childcare per week for 3 and 4 year olds.

You could get up to 30 hours funded childcare in total if you and your partner (if you have one) work full or part-time hours.

You could still be eligible, even if you're on maternity, paternity or adoption leave, or if you're unable to work. 

Check the full eligibility criteria to find out if you can claim.

If you're a foster carer who works and you meet the eligibility criteria, you can apply for 30 hours funded childcare. If you're eligible

What you will get

You can get up to 30 hours of funded childcare for 38 weeks of the year. Some childcare providers may allow you to use your funded hours over more weeks by using fewer hours each week. Speak to your chosen childcare provider to find out if you can spread the funding over more weeks.

Some providers may not offer 30 hours funded childcare, or they may only be able to offer a few extra hours. This could be due to available places or their opening times.

You can use your funded hours with more than one childcare provider. 

The funding doesn't cover the cost of additional services or items and your childcare provider may charge extra for these. These could be:

  • lunch
  • nappies
  • trips
  • music classes

Even so, you must not be asked to pay a fee as a condition of taking up a 30 hours place, and must be offered alternative options such as choosing to provide your own child's lunch, for example. 

When the funded childcare will start

You can get up to 30 hours funded childcare the term after your child's third birthday if you're eligible and apply before the deadline. This means it would start either in January, April or September. 

You can continue to claim the funding for funded childcare until your child starts school. If you choose to defer your child's school place, you can continue to claim until your child reaches compulsory school age (the term following their fifth birthday). 

What types of childcare can I use with the funding?

You can only use the funded childcare funding with registered or approved childcare providers who offer early education funding. This includes:

  • childminders
  • pre-schools, playgroups and nurseries
  • out-of-school clubs
  • home care workers working for a registered home care agency

Search for childcare

Search our Family Information Directory to find childcare providers. You can filter your search by those offering funded early education and childcare.

You can't use the funding with a childcare provider if they're your child's relative. Relative means the child's:

  • grandparent
  • aunt or uncle
  • brother or sister

When to apply

Find the date you can apply from in this table:

Eligibility dates for 3 and 4 year old funded childcare
Must be 3 years old byDate child is eligible for funding fromRecommended time to apply
31 December 1 January (spring term) 15 October to 30 November
31 March 1 April (summer term) 15 January to 28 February
31 August 1 September (autumn term) 15 June to 31 July

You can apply for funded childcare funding for 3 and 4 year olds 16 weeks before your child's third birthday. We recommend you apply no more than 3 months before you're eligible to claim.

You must apply in good time to take your eligibility code to your childcare provider before the deadline. Many parents applying for 30 hours funded childcare will get a reply straightaway to say if they're eligible. Some parents will need to provide more information for their application.

Reconfirm your eligibility

You must reconfirm your eligibility every 3 months if you're claiming 30 hours' funded childcare. You must do this 3 months from the date you applied, even if you haven't started claiming. 

Can you claim other funding at the same time?

If you're eligible, you can claim through other funding schemes at the same time, including:

Find out which funding schemes work best for your family with the online childcare calculator.

Issues applying for funding

Find out what to do if you have any issues applying for childcare funding.

If you've been unable to access Tax-Free Childcare or 30 hours funded childcare due to technical issues, you may be able to claim a top-up refund or compensation.

Make a complaint about your childcare provider or funding

Find out what to do if you want to complain about your childcare provider, funding or funded childcare.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.