Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Street trading and pedlar's licences

Apply for a street trading licence

If you want to sell in the street you must apply for a street trading licence in the area where you wish to sell.

Street trading licences are not issued in the North Dorset area.

I don't know my area

If you don't know which area you need to apply to, select it on the map and the area will be displayed.

Map accessibility and disclaimer Open map fullscreen

It is illegal to put up signs or stalls to sell something on the public highway (including grass verges).Trading as a news vendor or delivery rounds man, or on premises used as a shop or petrol filling station isn't street trading.

If you are selling food items you may need to register as a food business.

Apply for a pedlar's certificate

You need a pedlar’s certificate if you sell door to door.

The certificate is valid for 1 year and lets you sell throughout the UK. You must trade on foot and carry your goods with you (you can use something like a small trolley).

Apply for a pedlar's licence

You can apply for a pedlar's licence from Dorset Police.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.