Some types of trade are legally exempt from the need to obtain a street trading licence. These include:
- a person/persons holding a charitable street collection permit issued by the council
- a person trading as a pedlar under licence issued by a Police Authority
- trade carried out by roundsmen e.g. milkmen
- trade carried on at a petrol filling station
- a news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
- a market trader operating at a licensed market venue
- trading on private land may not need a consent. The landowner may need planning permission. Contact us to check.
Charities pay a discounted rate on pitches and can also fundraise in the town centre free of charge (on up to 4 occasions a year) providing they do not impinge on any of the designated street trading pitches or cause an obstruction.