Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Highway emergencies

If there is a genuine emergency and life is in immediate danger, dial 999 for the emergency services.

Dorset Council can only deal with problems on county roads. Highways England are responsible the A31, A303 and A35 west of Bere Regis trunk roads.

An emergency on the highway is something that will cause, or has already caused, injury to a person or damage to a property, including:

  • damage to street furniture caused by an accident or collision
  • obstructions, debris or hazards on the highway which could cause an incident
  • significant flooding of the highway
  • oil or fuel spillages significant enough to cause a hazard

Traffic signal failures (signalised junctions, crossings and temporary traffic lights at roadworks), must also be reported by phone so we can attend to the fault straight away. Please do not report these issues online.

Highways calls are taken 24 hours a day

During office hours listen to the message and select the relevant option. Outside of office hours, please select option 4. You do not need to listen to the whole message before making your selection.

Please be as detailed as possible about the location of the incident you are calling about, use points of reference and road names so we can log and locate the issue quicker.

During severe weather, you may have to hold the line for an operator. If you cannot get through first time, please keep trying. Incidents will be dealt with in priority order and will only be remedied when the situation becomes safe enough for engineers to attend to.

Minor issues and defects

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.