Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Section 50 streetworks licence - new apparatus

This application form must be completed when the applicant intends to place and retain new apparatus in the highway.

All reasonably practicable steps must be taken to identify other apparatus in the vicinity of the works applied for. It is recommended that the results of any enquiries are no older than three months.

Before you apply

The applicant must submit this form together with the following:

  • two copies of a scale plan of the proposed location of the apparatus marked by a red broken line
  • proof of the contractor’s public liability Insurance. This must provide a minimum £5m cover and be maintained from commencement of the works on the highway up to completion and acceptance by the Street Authority of the permanent reinstatement
  • proof of the contractor’s street works accreditation qualifications.  It is a requirement under the New Roads & Street Works Act 1991 that any person or organisation who wishes to open a public highway to carry out any installation, inspection, adjustment, repair or alteration of apparatus must ensure that the works are supervised by a fully certified supervisor (excavation AND reinstatement) and carried out by a certificated operative
  • payment of £485 in the form of a cheque made payable to Dorset Council (we can also accept card payments over the phone). This payment is exempt from VAT and is made up as follows:
    • £175 administration fee (non returnable)
    • £160 capitalised fee in lieu of annual charge
    • £150 inspection fees (£200 if works over 1.5m. deep)

Apply to work on new apparatus

In order for the council to comply with its statutory duty, this application form must be submitted at least one month before the start of the proposed works.

The application form must be signed by the owner of the apparatus.

Download the application, print and return by post.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.