Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice

Temporary traffic signals licence

You need a licence to place temporary signals on the highway - which includes stop and go boards.

You need to have either booked road space or have a section 50 licence agreed before applying for this licence.

Apply for a licence

Please ensure you complete the correct application dependant on the type of works you're wishing to undertake.

Private works (roadspace and section 50)

Utility works (Statutory Undertakers)

Utility companies will need to attach their application to their Streetworks Permit application.

Traffic management drawings

You must provide traffic management drawings for multi-way signal configurations (which includes 2-way signals and a pedestrian crossing configuration) as part of your application.

Minimum expectations for drawings are:

  • OS drawing with licence number
  • at an appropriate scale with the scale clearly displayed
  • location of where the signal heads are going to be placed
  • the location and extent of the work zone

You don't need to provide a drawing for two-way signal configurations unless we ask for one.

Report a problem

Contact us to report a problem with temporary traffic lights.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.