Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Temporary traffic restrictions for a street party

A street party is usually an event that:

  • is not publicised for the general public so will not draw in people from a wider area
  • applies to the residents of one or two streets only and not to larger areas so attendance will generally involve fewer than 150 people.

Events attracting a larger attendance than this are special events.

The Big Jubilee Lunch - Sunday 5 June 2022

We will consider applications for street parties to celebrate HM The Queen's Platinum Jubilee in 2022.

COVID-19 risk assessments

If you are organising an event where the public are invited to attend, you must carry out event specific risk assessments.

You'll need to submit the risk assessments to our Safety Advisory Group (SAG) along with the normal event management documents. The SAG can then advise us and you if the event complies with current regulations and guidance.

In this section

Apply for a road restriction for a street party

You must apply at least 6 weeks before the street party is due to take place.

An application will only be approved for minor residential roads where the closure will have minimal impact on through traffic. Roads that are part of a bus route will generally not be considered suitable.

There will be times when this type of restriction will not be appropriate, either because of the type of road or because of the type of event being planned. You are therefore encouraged to contact Dorset Highways to discuss your individual requirements at the earliest opportunity before you submit an application.

Although not compulsory, it is recommended that organisers of street parties consider having public liability insurance in place for this type of event.

Back to top

Terms and conditions of approval

Applicants or the nominated person in overall charge of the event:

  • must provide an emergency contact phone number that can be reached for the duration of the event
  • must consult and engage with those likely to be affected by any traffic restriction and use the consultation document, detail those parties contacted and the feedback given (both positive and negative)
  • must organise the event in such a way that access for pedestrians and emergency/essential vehicles can be maintained
  • must arrange for a minimum of one road closed sign to be placed at each point where the road(s) are to be closed. (We do not have sufficient resources to provide these free of charge to you but they can be purchased or hired from the Dorset Highways Sign Shop or from most reputable tool hire companies)
  • must erect the public notice that Dorset Council will issue at each end of the closure at least seven days prior to the street party
  • must ensure all equipment, materials and rubbish associated with the event is cleared. the road returned to the condition found before the event and the road reopened by the time the licence expires (this cannot wait until the following morning)
  • must ensure noise from the event is kept to acceptable levels at all times and to a minimum after 9pm

Back to top

Engagement with stakeholders

Organisers of a street party must consult with all stakeholders that would be affected by the restriction.

Download an engagement exercise document

The list of consultees should include:

Should any adverse comments in relation to the traffic management proposals be received, these should be resolved by the event organiser. Should an applicant be unable to resolve any genuine disputes with mitigation, or if Dorset Council believes an inadequate level of engagement has been carried out, then we reserve the right to alter the traffic management proposals or refuse an application.

Back to top

Use of personal data

Please read our privacy notice and more information about how we comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).

Back to top


There is generally no charge to fulfil street party applications, however a nominal charge may be agreed between the applicant and Dorset Council should the application be complex.

Back to top 

Other licences

Street parties in their own right do not require a licence but there are certain activities that require authorisation under the Licensing Act 2003, but the granting of a temporary traffic restriction does not provide for nor indicate that any other licence for your event will be approved

You will need a temporary event notice for any street party where alcohol is to be sold (alcohol is still deemed to be sold if it is offered as part of an entrance fee or ticket price), or entertainment offered to members of the public (private events do not usually require authorisation)

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.