You must check if you need approval before you construct or change buildings.
What building regulations are
The building regulations are minimum standards for the design and construction of, or alterations to, virtually every building. They contain a list of requirements providing standards for construction and energy efficiency whilst taking into account the health and safety and needs of building occupants.
They cover all aspects of the build process, including foundations, damp proofing, stability, insulation, ventilation, heating, sanitation, fire protection and means of escape. They also make sure there are adequate facilities in certain types of buildings for people with disabilities.
Types of work covered by building regulations
You may need approval for a variety of projects including:
- the erection or extension of a building or dwelling
- installation of a new bathroom, shower or WC involving new waste pipes or underground drainage
- the conversion of a building that creates one or more extra dwelling units
- the conversion of more than one unit into fewer units
- the building of an attached garage
- the conversion of a loft or other roof space to habitable accommodation
- removal of load bearing walls or walls which might affect the means of escape
- garage conversion to habitable room
- underpinning foundations
- forming new openings in external walls for extra windows or doors
- installing replacement windows or substantially glazed doors (more than 50%)
- installing a heating appliance (for example multi fuel or wood burning stove) or boiler
- most electrical work
Visit the following websites to find out about more projects and if they need building regulations:
If you need approval
If you need approval you can either:
- find out how to apply if your works require approval or
- use an appropriate person or company to do the work. If you hire a person or company who are registered with the government's Competent Persons Scheme to do the work on your behalf, you do not need to apply for approval yourself
If you do not need approval
Penalties and problems
Find out what happens if you do not get approval.