Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Using a competent person scheme

Competent person schemes are a way for tradespeople to prove their ability to carry out certain work to meet the required standards, instead of you applying for building regulations approval.

The competent person scheme

Competent Person self-certification schemes allow individuals and enterprises to self certify that their work complies with the building regulations as an alternative to submitting a building regulation application.

A Competent Person must be registered with a scheme that has been approved by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG). Find out more about DCLG Schemes.

Finding a competent person

Search the Competent Person Registerto find a tradesperson or check if they belong to an existing scheme.

If you are looking for an electrician to work on your home you should search the Electrical Competent person register.

Benefits of using a competent person

An installer registered with a competent person scheme is qualified to carry out specific types of work in accordance with the building regulations and to self certify that work. They should both notify us of the work and issue you a certificate of compliance with building regulations either directly or through their scheme operator.

Work a competent person can carry out

Examples of work that can be undertaken by Competent Persons:

  • installation of cavity or solid wall insulation
  • installation of gas appliances
  • installation or replacement of hot water and heating systems connected to gas appliances
  • installation or replacement of oil-fired boilers, tanks and associated hot water and heating systems
  • installation or replacement of solid fuel burners and associated hot water and heating systems
  • installation of a new circuit within a dwelling
  • replacement windows, doors, dormer windows, or roof lights in dwellings
  • find a complete list of work that can be carried out by a competent person

Once the work is complete

When the work is complete the registered installer should:

  • notify us of the work
  • issue you a certificate of compliance with building regulations, this can be issued:
    • directly by themselves
    • through their scheme operator

If you do not use a registered installer then you will have to submit an application and pay a fee to have building control come and inspect the work.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.