Find out what types of buildings and which types of building works are exempt.

Work that does not need approval

Common works that do not need approval:

  • minor repairs, maintenance work and replacing less than 25% of an element like for like
  • additional power points or lighting points and switches (except around baths and showers)
  • alterations to existing circuits (except around baths and showers)
  • like for like replacements of baths, toilets, basins or sinks
  • boundary or garden walls, fences and gates - find out more on the Planning Portal

Buildings that do not need approval

Common buildings that do not need approval:

  • detached buildings, with floor areas that do not exceed 15m2 and contain no sleeping accommodation
  • detached single storey buildings, including garages, that are:
    • less than 30m2 floor area
    • at least one metre from any boundary unless constructed of non-combustible materials
  • an extension to a building at ground level consisting of:
    • a porch of less than 30m2 floor area and separated from the house by an external type door
    • a carport open on at least two sides that is less that 30m2 floor area
    • a covered yard or way to the house less than 30m2 floor area
    • a conservatory that is:
      • of substantially clear/translucent material (You must use safety glass in critical locations)
      • separated from the house by external quality door(s)
      • less that 30m2 floor area

Visit the following websites to find out about more projects and if they need building regulations:

If you are still unsure

Find out more about the difference between Planning and Building Control.

Apply for confirmation of exemption

If you are not certain that your works are exempt you can submit a proposal form to Building Control for advice. This exemption only count for Building Regulations, you will need a separate exemption from Planning too.

Submit a paper request

Download a printable version of the Building Control confirmation of exemption form once completed, submit your form to us.

If you are not exempt

If you need approval you can either:

If you hire a competent person to do the work on your behalf, you do not need to apply for approval yourself.

Penalties and problems

Find out what happens if you do not get approval.

Share this page