The Dorset Historic Towns Project report on Beaminster.
Three main components contribute to the local distinctiveness of Beaminster: the historic town layout and plot structure, the historic buildings, and the landscape setting. The medieval and early post-medieval town plan survives almost complete and exerts a strong influence on the character of the town, in terms of its street and plot layout and the continuing focus on the medieval market place.
The good survival of the historic structure is complemented by the large number of high quality historic buildings. The survival in the historic core of unbroken groups of buildings, with little disruption from modern development, is a major factor which highlights the contribution made by historic elements to Beaminster's urban character. The harmonious use of a range of local building materials helps underscore its local setting and emphasises the linkage with the surrounding landscape.
The landscape and topographic setting of the town is fundamental to its character. In particular, various watercourses have helped define the position of the streets and influenced the slightly sinuous course of the roads. The surrounding escarpment and hills provide a dramatic backdrop which serves to underline Beaminster's historic role as a small rural market town.
Here is a summary of the report (February 2011).
Detailed sections of the report
We have broken down the full report into individual sections, please select one of the parts to read:
- Part 1 and 2 Introduction and overview
- Part 3 and 4 Context and sources
- Part 5.1 to 5.3 Medieval to early nineteenth century
- Part 5.4 and 5.5 Late nineteenth and twentieth century
- Part 6 Character appraisal
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 1 Historic core
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 2 East Street
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 3 Southgate and Whitcombe
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 4 Shorts Lane
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 5 Newtown
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 6 Gerrard's Green/Hollymoor
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 7 Clay Lane and Tunnel Road
- Part 6 Historic Urban Character Area 8 Beaminster School/Memorial Playing Fields
- Part 7 Research and appendices