You can get copies of:
- documents (deeds, maps, photographs etc)
- print publications: items from the local studies library can usually be photocopied
- microfilm: can be copied on our reader-printer machines. Staff can also provide copies of microfilm archives
- online material: self-service copies of images can be made from Ancestry (available to use free within Dorset History Centre) along with other websites
We will advise on options for copying, which can vary depending on the format, size and condition of the item in question. Certain documents or collections may have restrictions on copying due to their condition, copyright, or their terms of deposit.
Reproductions of, or extracts from, documents must not be published without permission of the County Archivist.
All fees are effective from 1 April 2021.
On-site facilities and charges
You are welcome to use the self-service photocopier in the Local Studies Library and printers in the Family History Room.
Please buy a camera permit if you'd like to use your own camera or device to photograph original documents in the searchroom. You may take as may pictures as you like for the duration of your permit. Some documents are subject to restrictions.
|Type of copy||Price|
|Self-service photocopies (library material only)||25 pence|
|Self-service microform print-out (A4/A3)||70 pence|
|Self-service computer colour print-out||70 pence|
|Camera permit: 1 day||£10|
|Camera permit: 1 week||£35|
|Scan by staff: black and white||£1|
|Scan by staff: colour||£2|
Copies are made at our discretion, depending on the condition of the document.
Ordering copies by post or email
Contact us with details of the documents that you wish to have copied or speak to a member of staff. We'll give you an order form to complete and return to us. Please note:
- orders for digital copies and copies by post can take up to 14 working days
- you must pay us before copies are delivered
- we'll estimate how much your order will cost. Sometimes our estimate will change, but we'll keep you informed
- we may need a deposit on large orders before copying begins
Charges and fees
These prices are based on documents which require a single camera shot or scan to image. Larger documents may require additional scans, contact us for a quote.
Digital copies will be supplied by email or via a link to download.
|Type of copy||Price|
|Jpeg image (digital)||£6|
|Tiff image (digital)||£9|
|Additional consecutive pages in bound volumes (digital jpeg)||£1.50|
|Audio file (digital)||£8|
|Handling fee per digital order||£3|
|Supply digital file(s) on CD/DVD||as above plus £5 for media and postage|
|Tithe maps: one map and one apportionment (digital)||£15|
|Photocopy/print out A4 or A3 - minimum charge, includes up to 4 sheets||£8|
|Additional black and white photocopy/print out||£1|
|Additional colour photocopy||£2|
|Postage and packaging||From £1.80|
|Re-supply of digital order||£5|
- certified copies of various documents can be requested for legal or official purposes. The copy of the original document is certified as a true copy of the original document
- a certfied copy costs £17 including the search for a specific entry, copying and certification
- certificates of baptism and burial entries in Dorset parish registers can be supplied for legal or official purposes
- certificate fees are set by the Church of England.
- a copy certificate of a baptism or burial from a parish register entry costs £31 (plus £1.80 postage).
For copies of birth and death certificates please contact the General Register Office or the Dorset Registration Service:
All requests for reproducing archive material held at Dorset History Centre must be made in writing to the County Archivist; please include the document reference number(s) and the intended use of the reproduction
|Type of use||Example||Fee|
|Rate 1: Not-for-profit publication||Community or local voluntary groups. Educational publications, digital publication on community or local voluntary group websites or other digital media and video.||£10 discounted rate £7.50*|
|Rate 2: Commercial publication - local||Local press, magazines and media, local publishers of Dorset history and related material.||£20 discounted rate £10*|
|Rate 3: Commercial publication - national||National media, digital publication in all formats, film and TV use of images.||£100 discounted rate £50*|
|Other commercial use||Significant filming, advertising use, book covers, CD labels, TV editorial flashes, TV advertising flashes, commercial video, souvenirs.||By negotiation|
|Beneficial to the Dorset History Centre||The work directly supports the Dorset History Centre's core objectives and key priorities or is otherwise beneficial to the archives and local studies collections.||No charge|