Starting junior or middle school
Apply for a junior or middle school place to start in September 2020
Applications for a school place during COVID-19
We will continue to operate and receive applications for school places. You will be able to view your outcome from 9.30am on 16 April 2020. Find more information on our school allocations page.
Apply for a junior or middle school place in Christchurch
Go to the BCP Council webpage to apply for a place at a junior school in Christchurch if you're a BCP Council resident.
Apply for a junior or middle school place
The closing date for applications was 15 January 2020. If you apply after this date your application will be classed as late.
Before you apply:
- if you live in Dorset (not Bournemouth, Christchurch or Poole), and pay your Council Tax to Dorset Council, apply to us for a Dorset junior or middle school place. You can check your local council area
- if you live in Dorset and pay your Council Tax to Dorset Council and you want to apply for a school place in another local authority area, you still need to apply to us at Dorset Council
- read our parents' guide for information about the different types of schools and how to apply
- read the admissions policies for schools you're interested in; you can find these on a school's website
- check Dorset's Local Offer for information on support for children with special educational needs and disabilities
Or view schools by catchment area.
You may have to complete an additional form if you want to apply to religious schools. This is an extra form which should be sent to the schools themselves, unless stated differently, and is not instead of an application form.
The closing date for junior and middle school applications is 15 January 2020. If you apply after this date your application will be classed as late.
For other year groups you should make an in year application.
Apply for a junior or middle school place
List up to 3 schools in order of preference. One of these schools should be your catchment school. You'll receive a confirmation email once you've submitted your application.
Make sure you've sent any required medical evidence to our schools admissions team. We can only consider your application based on the evidence you've submitted by the closing date.
If you can't apply online
If you can't apply online, fill in and return a paper application form, this should be posted by the closing date, make sure you include proof of posting:
How we tell you about an offer of a school place
We send out offers for all on-time applications for children starting junior or middle school by email on 16 April or by second class post.
Find details of how places have been allocated for the schools that are full on our school allocations page.
- tell you about your transport entitlement by letter or email only, not over the phone
- get the information to you by email if you applied online
- only discuss the information with the people listed on the application
- let you know your outcome, unless your application is late
- send late application offers by email or second class post on 15 May 2020
We can't discuss available places at school as the number changes frequently.
If you apply after 15 January 2020 we will class your application as late. This means we won't consider it until after the on-time round. We will tell you about your offer of a school place from 15 May 2020.
If you apply after 15 April 2020 we cannot tell you about your offer of a school place after the 15 May 2020.
What to do when you have a school place offer
We automatically assume acceptance, if you wish to decline the school place offered or add your child to the waiting list we ask parents and carers to respond by 30 April for on time applications and 1 June for late applications.
If you would like to decline the place offered, you must provide us with the reason why. You can only request for your child to be added to a particular school's waiting list if you've already applied for this school and been refused a place at it.
Find out more about school waiting lists.
Making changes to your submitted application
If you want to make changes to your submitted application, you need to complete a change of preference form:
We process applications based on the information you give in your application. This means if you change your address after 15 January 2020, we'll process your application using the address you were living at on the closing date.