Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Advice and support for young people

We have support services for young people who are facing difficulties.

We can support you if you're:

  • 11 to 19 years old
  • up to 25 years old if you have special educational needs or disability (SEND)
  • up to 25 years old if you're a care leaver

We can support you if you aren't in, or you risk missing:

  • education
  • employment
  • training

We can help you back into education, employment or training. Find out how we work with Ansbury Guidance to do this.

There are also a number of options for education and training after 16 years old

Organisations that can support you

Mental health and wellbeing support

These organisations give free advice and support:

  • LiveWell Dorset: a free service for people who want to improve their wellbeing
  • Kooth the online counselling and emotional well-being platform for children and young people
  • YoungMinds Child and adolescent mental health 
  • Mind: they can help you so you don't have to face a mental health problem alone
  • Time to Change: useful resources and advice to help with mental health problems
  • ChatHealth: confidential text messaging service for young people to anonymously get in touch with a healthcare professional for advice and support
  • REACH: drug and alcohol advice : offers support for people facing issues with addiction in Dorset
  • MOSAIC: charity that supports bereaved children and young people in Dorset
  • SPACE youth project:

Staying safe

Find out about staying safe, your rights and the law.

Find out about child exploitation and what to do if you think someone is being exploited

Alcohol and drugs misuse

Find support groups for alcohol and drugs misuse on our Family Information Directory.

Sexual health

Find support and advice about sexual health from these organisations:

Homelessness and housing

Find information about homelessness and housing advice for young people, including support for runaways

Find information to support you if you're in danger of being made homeless on our Family Information Directory.

Special educational needs and disability (SEND)

Our Local Offer section has information for children and young people with SEND and their families. 

Find out what help is available on our Local Offer.

Support for Young Carers

If you're under 18 years old and look after another person at home, you may be a young carer. There are a number of ways we can help you.

Find out more information on our Young Carers webpage

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.