Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Local Offer: health

If you have a child with special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND), it's likely you'll come into contact with a number of different health and social care professionals.

Dorset has a wide range of health services for children and young people from birth to 25 with SEND, including GPs, pharmacists, dentists, optometrists, community and hospital services. These are known as universal services, as they are available to everyone.

Below are services with brief descriptions and links to websites so can find out more information about how services work and how they might be able to support you and your child or young person:

Health services

Complex medical needs

Sign up to receive our family newsletters

Get useful information and updates about services and activities for families with children in Dorset.


Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is the local NHS organisation responsible for commissioning many local health services for residents registered with a GP. Dorset CCG buys health services on behalf of people across Dorset. The CCG works in partnership with Dorset, Bournemouth and Poole councils to support SEND services.

Find out more about the Dorset CCG on their website.

Find out about the Dorset CCG's Statement of Intent which covers the commissioned services for children and young people with SEND.

Designated Medical Officer

The Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) supports Dorset and the CCG to meet its statutory responsibilities for children and young people with special education needs and/or disabilities (SEND). The DCO also agrees the health services within an education, health and care (EHC) plan.

Dorset CCG's Designated Clinical Officer (DCO) is Steve Clarke. You can contact him on

Contact the NHS Dorset Clinical Commissioning Group at its Poole or Dorchester offices

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.