Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice, including help if you are struggling financially

Find childcare for a child with SEND

Find childcare

When choosing a childcare provider to meet the needs of your child with SEND we recommend you:

  • search our Family Information Directory to find childcare
  • arrange to visit different childcare providers
  • speak to the SENCO to discuss your child's needs; you need to find out what they will do to include your child
  • ask if they have any specialist knowledge, or if they can access training to meet your child's needs
  • read our advice on choosing childcare, including questions to ask

Read Coram's (for early years and childcare) guide to childcare for children with SEND.

Search for childcare

Search our Family Information Directory for childcare. Some childcare providers include information on how they provide for children with SEND: these records are marked with the Local Offer logo.

Registered childcare for children with SEND

Registered childcare providers must do all they can to meet the needs of every child in their care. They do this in discussion with parents and other professionals. They must clearly explain if there are situations where they can't meet the needs of a child. 

Childcare providers have a trained special educational needs coordinator (SENCO) who arranges additional support for children with SEND. Childminders are always their own SENCO. 

A SENCO's job is to:

  • support children with SEND
  • work with parents to help their child
  • work with our SEND support services
  • work with other professionals, such as health services 

Childcare providers support children through the graduated response in the same way schools do. This helps them learn more about your child and how they can make good progress. If your child doesn't make good progress with the SEND support offered, the childcare provider and parents may think about requesting a needs assessment for an EHC plan

Types of support you can expect from childcare providers

Your childcare provider can access a range of specialist services to support your child, including the Portage Service that supports children from birth to 5 years in childcare settings and at home. 

Childcare providers may be able to get funding to support the needs of children with SEND in the setting. This funding could be used to pay for:

  • special equipment
  • resources
  • extra staff
  • training

Speak to your provider to find out more. 

Help with the costs of childcare

There are childcare funding schemes to help with the cost of childcare. Some of these make extra provision for children who are disabled, including:

  • Tax-Free Childcare for working parents of 0 to 12 year olds
  • 15 hours free childcare for 2 year olds

Read our money section to find out about other financial support you could claim. 

Can't find childcare?

Contact the Dorset Family Information Service outreach team if you're having difficulty finding childcare. Our advisors will go the extra mile to help you try and find the childcare that meets your family's needs. 

Amanda and Hannah's story

Find out how the right childcare choice helped Hannah's progress.

Help to find the right childcare from Coram Family and Childcare.
Help to find the right childcare from Coram Family and Childcare.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.