If you want to collect money on the street or house to house for a charity you will need to apply for a permit. Permits are granted to registered charities and charitable organisations or groups.

The regulations relating to these licences are House to House Collections Act 1939 and Charities Act 1992.


There are standard conditions attached to all licences/permits, such as the age of collectors and the way collections should be conducted.

Collectors must wear an ID badge and be 16 or over to collect money or goods under a street collection or house to house collection permit.

We will make sure that:

  • a collection will not inconvenience the public because of the day of the week, time or the frequency at which it is held
  • the collection does not, as far as possible, take place on the same day as another authorised collection

Street collections

A street collection permit is needed by anyone wishing to collect money in the street from a set position for charitable purposes.

House to house collections

You need a permit for:

  • door to door charitable collections, either made with collecting tins or by returning to collect a previously posted envelope
  • collecting money or clothing for charity door-to-door, including at shops and pubs

Collection returns

When the collection is finished you must submit a return form showing how much was collected and any expenses.

Apply for a permit or submit a return

Select the area where you want to apply for a street or house to house collection permit, or submit a return.

I don't know my area

If you don't know which area your charity collection is in, select it on the map and the area will be displayed.