Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Give notice of marriage or civil partnership

By law, you must give notice of your marriage or civil partnership in person at a register office before it can take place. It costs £35 per person.

You must give notice at least 29 days before your wedding. 

Giving notice during lockdown

You can usually give notice from as early as 12 months before your wedding, however, during the current period of lockdown you can only give notice if it's taking place within the next 2 months, or if there are exceptional circumstances.


Before you attend

Find out which documents you need to bring to your appointment.

If you are showing any symptoms of COVID-19 or are self-isolating, vulnerable or shielding, you must not attend an appointment. If you do attend and are displaying symptoms, the registrar reserves the right to end the appointment.

Please wear a face covering when attending an appointment.

Who can attend

Only you and your partner, if they are giving notice too, may attend the appointment.

No one else, including children, will be allowed into the building.

When you arrive

  • please arrive no more than 5 minutes before your appointment and ring the doorbell at the main entrance
  • in order to manage the number of people entering the building, if you arrive earlier than this you are likely to have to wait outside
  • you will need to use hand sanitiser provided before seeing the registrar
  • no payment will be accepted at the appointment
  • 2 metre social distancing must be maintained at all times

Our safety measures

  • we have configured our office space to ensure a 2 metre distance can be maintained at all times
  • our offices are fitted with Perspex screens
  • registrars disinfect surfaces and wash their hands between each appointment
  • we are limiting the numbers of people allowed in the building/at appointments

This information will be emailed to you once you've booked an appointment. Please ensure you have read and understood it.

If you live outside of the Dorset Council area

If you live outside of the Dorset Council area, you must give notice of marriage or civil partnership at your local register office. Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole are not in the Dorset Council area.

You can contact us to book a ceremony appointment so we can discuss your ceremony choices, take payment and talk you through what happens on the day. This can be done over the phone if it's not convenient to attend in person. The appointment should be at least 2 months before your ceremony date.

Contact us to book an appointment

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.