Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

Documents needed to give Notice of Marriage or Civil Partnership in Dorset

Before you attend your appointment

Each person attending the appointment should bring the following documents:

The exact documents you should bring are shown below.

All documents must be originals. If you do not provide all the required documents we may not be able to proceed with your appointment.

Any documents not in English must be accompanied by a third-party translation.

Proof of nationality

You must bring one of the following documents:

  • valid UK or EEA passport
  • valid passport from Non-UK/EEA country (to give notice in Dorset you must either have a certificate of entitlement to Right of Abode in your passport or if you have Military Exemption you will need your passport and letter from your Commanding Officer confirming place of residence)
  • valid national ID card issued by an EEA country or Switzerland
  • if you were born before 1983, your UK birth certificate
  • if you were born on or after 1 Jan 1983, your full UK birth certificate AND the UK birth certificate of your mother. The full birth certificate will show your mother’s name.
    • OR if your father was married to your mother at the time of your birth: your full UK birth certificate and UK birth certificate of your father PLUS your parent’s marriage certificate. The full birth certificate will show your father’s name.

Proof of address

You must bring one of the following documents showing your current address:

  • valid UK driving licence (provisional licence acceptable)
  • original bank statement dated within one month of the appointment
  • original council tax bill dated within one year of the appointment
  • original utility bill (gas, electric, water or broadband) dated within three months of the appointment
  • mortgage statement dated within one year of the appointment
  • current tenancy agreement

Evidence that any previous marriage or civil partnership has ended

You must bring one of the following relevant documents:

  • original Decree Absolute or Certificate of Dissolution. If the divorce occurred in a foreign country there will be a fee for the paperwork to be considered of up to £75. This will be payable at your appointment
  • death certificate of your former spouse. If you are not recorded on the certificate as being the spouse you must also bring your marriage certificate

Change of name

All documents must be in the names you are currently using. If not, you must show documents that link to current names, e.g. change of name deed, marriage certificate.

Getting married overseas

If you are getting married overseas, it is your responsibility to check that the civic authorities in that country will accept a Certificate of No Impediment, that the marriage will take place within the validity period of the certificate and the venue details will be recorded correctly. Use the GOV.UK tool to help you identify what you need to get married in each country.

Contact us

Please contact us before your appointment if you have any questions about the documentation you need to bring.

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.