Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Register a birth

Every birth in England and Wales must be registered within 42 days (6 weeks) of the child being born.

Book an appointment to register a birth

You can book, cancel or amend a birth registration appointment.

You can also contact us to book an appointment:

The appointment will take place at one of our Dorset Council register offices.

Who can register a birth

Married parents

Either parent can register the birth on their own. They can include both parents' details if they were married when the baby was born or conceived.

Unmarried parents

If you weren't married to each other when the baby was born or conceived then the mother can register the birth alone, but only her details can be recorded.

If you would like the father's details to be recorded then both parents must attend and both sign the register. If it is not possible for the father to attend please contact us for further advice.

If you have special circumstances such as a parental responsibility agreement in force, or court order, or circumstances in which the unmarried mother is unable to attend please contact us for further advice.

Read more information on who can register a birth .

Where to register a birth

You can register a birth in the Dorset Council area at one of our register offices.

What you'll need to tell us

The registrar will need to know:

  • the date and place of the birth (the time is only required in the case of multiple births e.g. twins)

  • name, surname and sex of the baby

  • date of parents' marriage if applicable

  • parents' occupations

  • mother's maiden surname

We'll also need to know: 

  • parents' names, surnames and address

  • places and dates of parents' birth

We recommend that you bring your passports or birth certificates to prove this information and prevent mistakes.

Birth certificates

You can buy a birth certificate at your appointment for £11. We accept cash, cheques and credit cards.

Births outside of the Dorset Council area

If the baby was born outside of the Dorset Council area (including Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole) you should register the birth in the district where the birth took place.

If that's not convenient, you can still attend an office in the Dorset Council area to make a 'declaration'. We'll send the details to the register office in the district where the baby was born and they will send you the birth certificate, usually within a week.

Privacy Notice

For more information about how we handle your personal data see the Registration Service Privacy Notice.

Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.