Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler.  Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Request different or additional bins, boxes or bags

Help moving your containers (assisted collection)

If you are disabled or physically unable to move your bins and there is no one else who can help, you can request for us to collect them from a point on your property, such as your back door. This is called an assisted collection.

You can request an assisted collection on behalf of someone else if you have their permission.

Request an assisted collection

Requesting different or additional containers

Using your recycling and food waste collections correctly should reduce your rubbish. We collect extra recycling if you put it in your own boxes.

You can request different containers if there is a genuine reason why the the standard 'recycle for Dorset' containers are not suitable for your household's needs. For example, if you:

  • need a bigger rubbish bin because of an increase in the number of people living in your household (5 or more people)
  • have children in disposable nappies
  • produce more rubbish for medical reasons

Request bigger bin for larger household

Request extra capacity for disposable nappies

Request bigger bin for medical waste

You must confirm that any information you give is correct and you may be asked for evidence to support your request. All requests are assessed according to the 'recycle for Dorset' service policy and may be subject to a visit by a DWP officer.

Successful applications for a bigger bin for a larger household or extra capacity for disposable nappies will be subject to an administration and delivery charge.  We will review all exceptions to the service and assisted collections periodically.

Requesting battery bags

Household batteries, including AA, AAA, 'button' and rechargeable batteries, can be recycled at most leading supermarkets and household recycling centres. They can also be collected at the kerbside, provided they are placed in one of our reusable battery bags and put out with your regular recycling collection. The bag will be emptied and returned alongside your recycling bins.

Request a battery bag

Authorised blue sacks

Properties which are not suitable for wheeled bins have been assessed by the DWP and residents are issued with authorised blue rubbish sacks every year. You can:-

  • check if your property is registered for authorised blue sacks
  • check when your annual renewal/delivery is due
  • report that you have run out of authorised blue sacks
  • report that you did not receive your annual delivery of authorised blue sacks.

Report an issue with blue sacks or check the status of your delivery

New build properties and new residents

If you have just moved into a new or redeveloped property which doesn't appear to have a full set of 'Recycle for Dorset' bins, please check with your estate agent (or the previous owner) that the house has not previously been sent a set.

If you still believe the house has never received a full set of bins, you will need to request them.  Successful applications will be subject to a one-off administration and delivery charge.

Request a new set of bins

Garden waste bin

Our Garden Waste collections are an optional service with an annual charge. You can find out more by visiting our Garden Waste section.


Rate this page

Have some feedback?

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.