How Council Tax Support is paid

When your Council Tax Support is calculated, we will work out your entitlement for the full financial year (up to 31 March) and this will be shown as a credit on your Council Tax bill.

If your circumstances change during that financial year, the amount of Council Tax Support credited to your bill may need to change. This will also change the amount you pay towards your Council Tax.

To see how your council tax is calculated, your up to date council tax bill and to arrange for payment, register or view your account online.

When your Council Tax Support will start

If you qualify for Council Tax Support, we will normally pay your benefit from the Monday following the day your completed claim form is received.


If you have a good reason for not claiming Council Tax Support earlier, you can ask us to consider backdating your claim.

If you, or your partner, are of state pension credit qualifying age we may be able to backdate your benefit up to 3 months before the date your claim is received (as long as you were entitled to benefit for that period). We do not need to know why you did not claim sooner to backdate your benefit. For us to work out how much benefit you will be entitled to, you need to give us proof of your income, savings and rent for the period you want to claim.

If you think you have a good reason for making a claim late, you should tell us in writing straight away. You must tell us the period you want to backdate your Council Tax Support for and tell us why your claim is late.

We will consider:

  • each claim on individual circumstances
  • other things which may have affected your ability to claim such as your age, health and other circumstances

Not knowing you could claim Council Tax Support is not considered to be "good cause".

Share this page