You can get a bus pass for free travel when you reach the female State Pension age, whether you're a man or a woman.

Apply for a bus pass

Apply for a free older person's bus pass online.

Other ways to apply

  • you can download a print friendly version of the form. Please include your photograph in the envelope with the application form
  • you can request a large print version of the form is posted to you by calling us
  • if you're not able to fill in the form or apply online, you can call us 0300 330 1201 (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays) to complete an application over the phone with you and post the form for you to sign and return with proof of age and address


You do not need to renew your bus pass unless your circumstances have changed. You will be sent a new pass about a week before the old one expires.

If your circumstances have changed e.g. change of name or address, please phone 0300 330 1201 (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays). If you cannot call us, please email

Lost or stolen passes and change of address

Please call 0300 330 1201 to re-order (national rate - lines open from 9am to 4pm Monday to Friday excluding public holidays).

You will need to pay £10 to replace a lost or spoilt pass unless the loss was as the result of theft and a Police Crime Number is supplied.

When and where you can travel 

You can travel free on local buses in Dorset from 9.30am to 11pm on Monday to Friday and any time at weekends and public holidays.

You are also entitled to free local bus travel in all other areas of England during these off-peak times.

Free travel throughout the week is available for blind and partially sighted people. For companion pass holders it is free from 9.30am to 11pm on weekdays and all day at weekends and public holidays.

Preventing fraud

By law, councils have to protect public money. We may share information you provide with those responsible for auditing or administering public money in order to prevent or detect fraud. The council must send data held on concessionary travel passes.

Dorset Council has contracted Euclid Ltd to manage the process of Concessionary Bus Pass applications and enquiries.

Terms and Conditions

View the Concessionary Bus Travel Terms and Conditions.

Share this page