People are appointed to this role by the Lord-Lieutenant for their service to the community.
The number of Deputy Lieutenants for each county is determined by the population. The Vice Lord-Lieutenant and Deputy Lieutenants assume the post-nominal "DL".
Vice Lord-Lieutenant - James Gibson Fleming Esq DL
Born in Dorset, James Gibson Fleming lives in Ranston, near Blandford. After a Short Service Commission in the Royal Hussars he returned to Dorset to manage both his own family estate along with a number of other rural and property based businesses.
He married Fiona Don in 1986, and they have three children.
James has been a Trustee of the Talbot Village Trust since 1991, Trustee of Cancer Care Dorset from 1994-2004 (Chairman from 2001), and is now a Vice-President of the Weldmar Hospice Care Trust.
Deputy Lieutenants (as at February 2021):
- The Rt Hon 12th Earl of Shaftesbury DL
- Professor Stuart Bartholomew CBE DL
- Mrs Antonio Bueno DL
- Colonel Oliver Chamberlain QVRM TD DL
- Martin Clunes Esq OBE DL
- Mrs Jennifer Coombs DL
- Richard Dimbleby Esq DL
- Mrs Pam Donnellan DL
- Mrs Angela Dupont MBE DL
- Lord Fellowes of West Stafford DL
- Mrs Felicity Irwin DL
- David Jenkins Esq DL
- Vice Admiral Sir Tony Johnstone-Burt KCVO CB OBE DL
- Dr Sibyl King DL
- Mrs Jean Lang DL
- Russell Lucas-Rowe Esq DL
- Mrs Victoria McDonaugh DL
- The Hon Timothy Palmer DL
- Mrs Catriona Payne DL
- John Raymond Esq DL
- Professor Gillian Slater DL
- Ms Jane Stichbury CBE QPM DL
- Mrs Jacqueline Swift DL
- The Hon Mrs Townshend DL
- Professor John Vinney DL
- Mrs Minette Walters DL
- Mrs Debbie Ward DL
- James Weld Esq DL
- Sir Philip Williams Bt MA JP DL
- The Reverend Canon Eric Woods DL
- John Young Esq MC JP DL
- Admiral Sir George Zambellas KCB DSC ADC DL