Licensing Privacy Notice
We ask that you read this privacy notice carefully as it contains important information on who we are, how and why we collect, store, use and share personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information and on how to contact us and supervisory authorities in the event you have a complaint.
Who we are
The Licensing Department collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
The personal information we collect
Information collected by us
In the course of processing application for licences, registrations and permits and any action associated with them it is necessary that we collect the following personal information from you:
- telephone number
- e-mail address
- date of birth
- national insurance number
Information collected from other sources
We also obtain personal information from other sources as follows:
- we may collect information from medical providers
- we may collect information about any criminal record held
- we may receive information from other government agencies, other departments within Dorset Council and other third-party partners
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information, in the manners specified below, in order to ensure that we are able to deliver the highest quality service to you.
We will process your personal data in order to assess your suitability for a licence, permit or registration, or for any action associated with them
Who we share your personal information with
In order to exercise the above activities in an efficient way, we routinely share your name, telephone number, e-mail address, address, date of birth with responsible authorities as required by legislation. We may also share your name and email with our third party criminal record checking service.
This data sharing enables us to ensure the best service is delivered. We do not anticipate that our data-transferring arrangements will involve a transfer outside of the European Economic Area (EEA).
On occasion we may be required to share personal information with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law. Where this occurs we will attempt to ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place.
As a mandatory participant of the National Fraud Initiative (NFI), we sometimes share personal data with the NFI. The purpose of this data sharing is to detect and prevent fraud. The NFI may share the personal data we provide with other bodies or organisations including: HMRC, the Department for Work and Pensions and IT suppliers to the NFI.
Our legal basis for sharing the data is that the processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest. Where we share special category data, our additional legal basis is that the processing is necessary for reasons of substantial public interest for the exercise of a function of the Crown, a Minister of the Crown, or a government department.
The personal data we provide will be used by the NFI to match records across different data sources in order to prevent and detect fraud. More information about how the NFI use personal data
We will not share your personal information with any other third party.
Whether information has to be provided by you, and if so why
The provision of the personal data (as set out above) is required from you to enable us to process licences, permits and registration and any action associated with them. We will inform you at the point of collecting information from you, whether you are required to provide the information to us.
We may not be able to complete an application without the personal data.
How long your personal information will be kept
- we will hold the personal data provided by you for the lifetime of the licence, permit or registration
- criminal record information will be destroyed or returned to you as soon as the licence is determined
- medical records will be returned to you as soon as the licence is determined
- once the licence, permit or registration has finished, records will be retained for a period of six years, or such other period as we are required to retain such records under statute
Reasons for collecting and using your personal information
We rely on public task and Legitimate interest as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data.
The processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, or in the exercise of official authority vested in the controller.
The processing is necessary for the purposes of the legitimate interests pursued by the controller, or by a third party, except where those rights are overridden by the rights of the data subject.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights that may be exercised free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
- fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information
- access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information that this Privacy Notice is already designed to address
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
For further information on each of those rights you can visit the Information Commissioner's Office
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
In order that we can comply with such a request as soon as possible, it would be useful if you could provide the following information within your initial request:
- let us have enough information to identify you (eg reference, account number, user name, registration details),
- let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
- let us know the information to which your request relates
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
If you would like to find out more about protecting your personal information, please visit Get Safe Onlinewhich is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
How to complain
We hope that our Data Protection Officer can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information.
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissionertelephone 0303 123 1113.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was published on 1 April 2019. There are no amendments since publication, when amendments are made to this page we will update this section. We recommend that you review this section from time to time so that you are aware of the latest version of this notice.
How to contact us
Please contact our Data Protection Officer if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you.
Do you need extra help?
If you would like this notice in another format (for example: audio, large print, braille) please contact us.