General Data Protection Regulation 2016
We ask that you read this privacy notice carefully as it contains important information on who we are, how and why we collect, store, use and share personal information, your rights in relation to your personal information and on how to contact us and supervisory authorities in the event you have a complaint.
Who we are
The council collects, uses and is responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation which applies across the European Union (including in the United Kingdom) and we are responsible as ‘controller’ of that personal information for the purposes of those laws.
The personal information we collect
Information collected by us
In the course of subscribing to our newsletter/s it is necessary that we collect the following personal information from you:
- e-mail address
How we use your personal information
We use your personal information, in the manners specified below, in order to ensure that we are able to deliver the highest quality service to you.
We will process your personal data in order to provide you with our communications newsletter/s.
Who we share your personal information with
We will not share your personal information with any other third party.
Whether information has to be provided by you, and if so why
The provision of the personal data (as set out above) is required from you to enable us to provide you with your newsletter/s. We will inform you at the point of collecting information from you, whether you are required to provide the information to us.
Failing to provide this information will mean that you will no longer be able to receive the newsletter/s.
How long your personal information will be kept
We will hold the personal data provided by you on an on-going basis unless you decide to opt out from receiving the newsletter/s.
Reasons for collecting and using your personal information
We rely on your specific and informed consent as the lawful basis on which we collect and use your personal data.
Under the General Data Protection Regulation you have a number of important rights that may be exercised free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
- fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information
- access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information that this privacy notice is already designed to address
- require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
- require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
- receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
- object at any time to processing of personal information concerning you for direct marketing
- object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
- otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances
For further information on each of those rights you can visit the Information Commissioner's Office.
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please contact our Data Protection Officer.
In order that we can comply with such a request as soon as possible, it would be useful if you could provide the following information within your initial request:
- enough information to identify you (eg. e-mail address),
- proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
- the information to which your request relates
If you would like to unsubscribe from any email newsletter you can also click on the ‘unsubscribe’ button located at the bottom of the email. It may take up to up to 28 days for this to take place.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent personal information from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to your personal information to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
If you would to find out more about protecting your personal information, please visit Get Safe Online which is supported by HM Government and leading businesses.
How to complain
We hope that our Data Protection Officer can resolve any query or concern you raise about our use of your information.
The General Data Protection Regulation also gives you right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. The supervisory authority in the UK is the Information Commissioner's Office.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was published on 1 April 2019. There are no amendments since publication, when amendments are made to this page we will update this section. We recommend that you review this section from time to time so that you are aware of the latest version of this notice.
How to contact us
Please contact our Data Protection Officer if you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you.