Certain industrial processes and activities which have the potential to cause pollution are required to have an Environmental Permit to operate. 

The Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 ("the EP Regulations") were made under the Pollution Prevention and Control Act 1999 and outline those processes and activities which require a permit. 

These processes are split into three categories: Part A(1), Part A(2) and Part B. 

Find out if you need a permit

Schedule 1 Part 2 of the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations 2010 identifies those processes that require a permit and also into which category [Part A(1), A(2) or B] the process falls. Permits covering Part A(1) and Part A(2) sites will consider issues such as: emissions to air, land, water and energy and water usage. Part B permits only consider emissions to air.

Who issues the permit

The Environment Agency issues the permit for Part A(1) processes. 

We issue the permits for Part A(2) and Part B processes.  

The Department for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has produced a series of process and sector guidance notes that explain all the potential releases from specific industrial processes and the best available techniques for preventing or reducing the impact of emissions. The notes also suggest conditions to be included within permits. 

Cost of a permit

Defra set the fees for permits each year. There is an application fee and an annual subsistence fee which vary depending on the category of process for which the permit is being applied for [Part A(1) A(2) or B] and to a risk rating applied during inspections of the process. 

Tacit consent

Tacit consent is not required. It is in the public interest that we must process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please contact us. 

If your application is refused

If your application for an environmental permit is refused, you may appeal to the appropriate authority. In England the appropriate authority is the Secretary of State. Appeals must be lodged no later than six months from the date of the decision. 

Public Register

Public participation and consultations

The public are invited to comment on current applications for all permits (Part A2 and Part B) and draft determinations for Part A2 Permits only.  

Comments on applications/determinations must be made to the council within 20 days of notification being placed on the website. 

Contact us