If you don’t agree with your Council Tax Support decision, you can ask us to provide you with a written statement that sets out the reasons for the decision. You can also ask us to look at our decision again, this is called a reconsideration.

To request a statement of reasons or a reconsideration, you need to email us within one month of the date of the decision. 

If you still disagree, you have a right to make an appeal to an independent body, the Valuation Tribunal. We will give you more information about this with the reconsideration decision.

You can appeal to the Valuation Tribunal about:

  • whether you are entitled to a reduction
  • how much of a reduction you have been awarded under the local scheme

The Valuation Tribunal cannot hear appeals about what is in the council’s scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied in your case.