Children under 8 years
Children under the age of 8:
- should be restricted to areas of the pool with water depth less than 1.2m
- may accompany adults in opposite sex changing and toilet areas
- must be accompanied by a person aged at least 18 years, the parent or legal guardian. This person may supervise a maximum of two under 8s and must directly supervise under 8s (i.e. be within reach) at all times
Water depth restrictions
Weak swimmers, non-swimmers and those under the age of 8 should be restricted to areas of the pool with water depth less than 1.2 m.
Swim nappies must be worn by all children who are incontinent or not dry throughout the day. These may be purchased at reception. Standard nappies are not suitable or appropriate.
Toilets and changing areas
Children under the age of 8 may accompany adults in opposite sex changing and toilet areas.
Children over the age of 8 should not enter opposite sex changing or toilet areas.
Supervision of babies by the pool
The following rules apply to the supervision of babies by the pool:
- babies can only be left on poolside whilst in car chairs,depending on the nature of the session taking place
- lifeguards can use their discretion on this (e.g. balls, floats and boisterous behaviour etc increase risk)
- buggies are not allowed on poolside due to hygiene reasons
- car chairs must be located under zones 3 and 4 only, at the shallow end against the wall
- lifeguards must inform the parents or legal guardians that they are solely responsible for the supervision of their babies
- no under 5 years
- under 8 years must be supervised by an adult
- no flotation aids
- must be able to swim 25m unaided