National Pool Lifeguard Courses at Purbeck Sports Centre
Sports centre closed
The sports centre will be closed from the 5 November 2020 due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Professional swimming courses are unfortunately closed due to the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, as we cannot ensure social distancing. We apologise for any inconvenience. We hope to restart our courses as soon as it is safe to do so.
National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
The Royal Life Saving Society (RLSS) National Pool Lifeguard Qualification is the most awarded lifeguard qualification. On completion you will be fully qualified to work as a Pool Lifeguard. The NPLQ can also be used as a stepping stone to a career within the leisure industry.
Course duration: 38 hours
Course Syllabus Outline
Training and assessment for this qualification is split into 3 sections (or QCF units). Each section is then broken into a further 3 elements.
Section 1 - The Lifeguard, Swimming Pool and Supervision (12 hours)
- Element 1 The Lifeguard and the Law
- Element 2 The Swimming Pool, Hazards and Control Measures
- Element 3 Swimming Pool Supervision
Section 2 - Intervention, Rescue and Emergency Action Plan (10 hours)
- Element 1 Intervention and Rescue
- Element 2 Rescue of a Casualty with a Suspected Spinal Injury
- Element 3 Emergency Action Plan
Section 3 - CPR, AED and First Aid (13 hours)
- Element 1 Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR)
- Element 2 Automated External Defibrillation (AED) (Optional)(Extra 1.5 hours)
- Element 3 First Aid
(All units must be completed).
The course consists of physical training and theoretical classroom work, followed by a practical in-water and out-of-water assessment on pool rescue, first aid, CPR and lifesaving skills. Candidates must be aged 16 or over.
|New dates summer 2020 TBC
||8.30am to 5pm
Payment and booking
Each course costs £265 + VAT per candidate, 16 years+. Please contact First Class Lifeguard on 01202 245709 or email@example.com
Emergency Response - Swimming Pool
The RLSS UK Emergency Response (ER) Pool Qualification is designed for staff working in a facility where there is a swimming pool but no direct poolside supervision and ancillary staff to enable them to provide greater support to the Lifeguard team in the event of an emergency. ER Pool is not a Lifeguard qualification.
ER Pool qualification contains 3 sections and options that can be added to the course:
- section 1 - The emergency responders role, pool Safety Operating Procedures, types of pools and swimming safety information
- section 2 - Responding to an emergency and the Emergency Action Plan
- section 3 - CPR and First Aid
To attend this course you must be:
- able to swim a minimum of 25m on their front and back
- able to surface dive to the deepest part of the pool; and climb out without help and without using steps or ladders (where venue design permits)
- be aged 16 or older at the beginning of the course
To be confirmed
Payment and booking
The course costs £150 per person.
Contact us to book a place.