Drainage and manhole covers
Dorset Highways are responsible for the following drainage activities:
- emptying of gullies
- clearing of drainage grips and ditches
- emptying of soak-a-ways, interceptors and catch- pits
- clearing of pipe runs, channels and kerb drainage specifically highlighting problem areas such a shallow falls or sites subject to root infestation
- clearance of balancing ponds to include vegetation clearance and removal of silt
- side verging of carriageway edge to facilitate surface water runoff and removal of detritus from the channel
- repairing damaged gully covers
Report a problem with highway drainage
Report a gully, drain or flooding issue
Apparatus under the responsibility of utility companies
The respective utilities are responsible for their apparatus including manhole covers in the road and pavement. If you report a defective manhole cover to us, we will raise it with the utility for them to repair.
Each utility have their own timescales based on the urgency of the situation, the most high-risk are attended to between two hours and one day. We encourage them to repair other more routine defects within three months. We will inspect a defect on a monthly basis to check the current situation.
If you know the utility responsible for a manhole cover, please report it directly to them yourself. If you do not know who is responsible, please report it to to us.
Report a problem with a manhole cover