Skip to content

We use cookies to make the site simpler. By continuing to use this site and closing this message you agree to our use of cookies.Find out more about cookies

Close alert

Coronavirus (COVID-19): updates and advice.

School Crossing Patrols

A School Crossing Patrol is the official name for a lollipop lady or man. They provide a safe crossing facility to and from school during term times. School Crossing Patrols can help anyone across the road, not just children. We fund 42 sites and a further 3 sites are funded by local community sponsorship. Please note that Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council has responsibility for School Crossing Patrols in Bournemouth, Poole, Highcliffe and Christchurch. 

Request a School Crossing Patrol

You must write to your local school to request a new School Crossing Patrol location. 

We adopt a national criteria which is a calculation based on the number of vehicles passing the crossing point combined with the number of children crossing during the busiest 30 minute period. Other things are also considered such as visibility, width of road and vehicle speeds.

If the site meets the criteria, it qualifies for a School Crossing Patrol. If the criteria is not fully met, the local community can provide funding towards the cost of a patrol if they wish. Contact the Road Safety team for more information on community patrols.

School Crossing Patrol job vacancies

We are always looking to recruit new School Crossing Patrols.

Relief patrols provide cover for permanent patrols. As a relief patrol, you will be paid an hourly rate from the time you leave home until you return from your duty. You will also receive a mileage allowance.

With over 48 sites in the county, there are always regular opportunities to work. You can decline the offer of work if it is not convenient to you.

The current starting pay is £9 per hour. Despite only working during school term times, your pay will be calculated over 12 equal months and includes holiday pay.

Register your interest

Request an application pack for a school crossing patrol job

Your feedback

This form is to report content that is wrong, or any issues or feedback you have about the web page.

Contact us if you want to get in touch about a council service instead.

All fields are required.

Leave your email address so that we can provide a response.

This helps us direct your feedback to the appropriate council.

General data protection regulation (GDPR)

We will only use the personal information supplied by you in accordance with GDPR. By giving us this information you are consenting to such use as set out in our privacy notice.